Warmwater Anglers in SW Washington

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Re: Warmwater Anglers in SW Washington

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:22 am

It sounds like they will not be decreasing. The person in charge of issuing them did his best to make it smoother but was not able too. The decisions came from above us. Your best bet would be to have your clubs write a letter to the director. That is what I have been telling my fish stocking applicants (their fee tripled). Hang in there.

Brianh
Petty Officer

Post by Brianh » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks for looking into it, really appreciate it.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:40 am

Anytime!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:56 am

Wow! That's $94......
The fee for a fishing contest permit is $24.00 (no more than seven permits will be issued to any one permittee during the calendar year). Effective March 1, 2013, an application fee of $70.00 will be charged for each application submitted (

http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/fishing_contests/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:57 am

Yep. I don't have an answer as to the reason for the jump though.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Stacie Kelsey wrote:Yep. I don't have an answer as to the reason for the jump though.
It looks like WDFW added the $70 application fee this year....... probably a cost analysis was done on the man hours it takes to process an application.... boom.... underground fishing tournaments are reborn! (for the small groups that were trying to follow the rules by applying for a permit)

We know it's not you Stacie.... It's all good!

I only looked it up because of curiosity.... It would be interesting to me to see numbers of tournaments last year versus next year. This year being that transitional period, where people find out about it... this years numbers really don't count. I'll leave that to the bean counters though..... I do need to get off of this puter and just go fishing... LOL

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:19 pm

It's a good idea to occasionally "bump" the original question. IMO
Stacie Kelsey wrote:Hello Anglers!!!

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is a BIG supporter of warmwater fisheries. In my Region, which oversees Clark, Cowlitz, Klickitat, Lewis, and Skamania counties we provide opportunities for largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, a wide variety of panfish including excellent crappie and bluegill fisheries, channel catfish and tiger musky fishing.

I have a great network of many anglers but want to expand that network and offer up the opportunity for you to comment on your favorite fisheries in our five counties.

What is your favorite spot? How has it changed over the years? What could be better? What fish would you like to see? And anything else that comes to mind.

For instance, we know that there are issues with the bass fishery in Silver Lake in Cowlitz county and we are working very hard toward some projects to determine what we can do to bring that back.

You can leave your thoughts here, PM me, contact me at stacie.kelsey@dfw.wa.gov or phone me at 360-601-1168.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Happy Fishing!

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:41 pm

Underground tourneys and underground stocking.

Speaking of tourneys - any ideas there that you have on SW Washington waters?

I'm hoping to get around to a lot more this coming summer. Let me know if you'd like me at yours - if they are in SW Washington.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:16 pm

Originaly the wdfw wanted the application fee of $70 for EACH tourney, plus the $24 for each tourney, but people found a way around that by including all tourney apps. at the same time in the same envelope, or something like that.
Tom.

Interests: living

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:49 pm

Stacie Kelsey wrote:Underground tourneys and underground stocking.

Speaking of tourneys - any ideas there that you have on SW Washington waters?

I'm hoping to get around to a lot more this coming summer. Let me know if you'd like me at yours - if they are in SW Washington.
Wish I could help but I've only fished a couple of tourneys ever and in recent years I generally head East for my freshwater fix.

Dan360
Petty Officer

Post by Dan360 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:49 pm

I always wondered what factors into the decision to stock a lake with LMB over SMB. On the surface, it seems like SMB would thrive in the cooler waters of WA. However, it seems like most lakes have LMB rather than SMB.

Another thing I've wondered about is the quality of fish in my local lakes. I live in Olympia and have Lake St. Clair, Pattison Lake, Black Lake, and a few others in the area. It seems like one lake will provide fewer fish per day, but greater quality. Lakes like St. Clair, you can catch 100 fish a day and maybe 5 will be over 12 inches.
There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

basspro
Warrant Officer

Post by basspro » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:55 am

Even though Spotted bass are very fun to target as well as catch, just becareful what you ask for. Spotted Bass are more agressive than smallmouth and who knows what that means for that individual fishery.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:26 am

The chances of getting spots or any other Bass in Washington would be slim to none.
The WDFW is working hard to get rid of what we have.
This jump in tournament fee application is just another joke.
I see a lot of support in the statement (underground tourneys underground stocking)

Lip_Ripper87
Petty Officer

Post by Lip_Ripper87 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:50 am

I don't know how hard it would be to get them to thrive in Silver Lake, but my father always told me about bass fishing in the "dollar pads" how hard are those to get to take and thrive?
Fishing is the life of past, present, and hopefully future. We must keep it a live! C&R!

Lip_Ripper87
Petty Officer

Post by Lip_Ripper87 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:52 am

How about getting rid of some of that silt from silver?
Fishing is the life of past, present, and hopefully future. We must keep it a live! C&R!