How To Fish A Float N Fly

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

How To Fish A Float N Fly

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:54 am

Hey Folks!

I managed to escape the non existent wind storm for a quick pond session. I was there for 50 minutes and caught 9 black crappie and 5 largemouth bass in 40 minutes. The first 10 minutes were spent throwing plastics for bass and getting no bites.

This video gives you some tips and tricks to get more bites fishing the float n fly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL1pUVe7KWY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

strider43
Captain

Re: How To Fish A Float N Fly

Post by strider43 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:40 am

Great video and action on that little pond. It really bites sometimes trying to plan around what the weather mans says.
I never even heard of those fly's (Spro Phat Fly) although I'm not much of a pan fish guy.
Thanks for taking the time to post.

Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:25 pm

strider43 wrote:Great video and action on that little pond. It really bites sometimes trying to plan around what the weather mans says.
I never even heard of those fly's (Spro Phat Fly) although I'm not much of a pan fish guy.
Thanks for taking the time to post.
The phat fly will catch everything that swims! Bill Siemantel, the man who designed it for Spro has caught bass up to 18 lbs and monster catfish on it. Trout/Salmon love it too!

sbasser
Petty Officer

Post by sbasser » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:03 pm

Or, you could whacky rig a 3" Senko (or clone) under a float. If you get too many dinks or panfish, step up to a bigger one.

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Post by dwh4784 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:16 pm

Float n fly is what I hammer the smallies on in the river. One morning last year I caught 17 in just over an hour before work. Also does work on trout. It's tough to fish from the kayak though so I've gone away from it this year unfortunately.

Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:55 am

sbasser wrote:Or, you could whacky rig a 3" Senko (or clone) under a float. If you get too many dinks or panfish, step up to a bigger one.
They weren't biting plastics on this particular day. Also, I never fish a senko under a float. I usually throw 6" lizards and 5" senkos. But this is a small pond that gets fished by many people who also take fish so there aren't many big fish either. My biggest out of there was a 2.5 lber. I talked to people who have fished it for over 5 years and they never even caught a 2 lber.

sbasser
Petty Officer

Post by sbasser » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:41 am

Trying to "show them something different" is always a great approach, IMO. The Senko under a float would probably be something they've seldom or never seen before. As is a "fly" under a float. I've got a rod to do that, but haven't yet. The "flies" they use in TN look to be a lot smaller than the SPRO unit...but I haven't compared them in person.

Having seen live lizards of some sort floating, not swimming, up off the bottom in Riffe Lake, Dropshotting a lizard would seem to be pretty realistic. So, I regularly DS a lizard, often paired with a straight tail worm of some sort on a second hook. My thought is to find out which they want, and where they want it...close to the bottom, or more up off the bottom. Some days they want one, and some days, the other. Experimenting and learning keeps it interesting. Who would want to catch a fish on every trip and every cast? Um.... [thumbsup]

Elijah.Loves.Fishin
Warrant Officer

Post by Elijah.Loves.Fishin » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:00 pm

sbasser wrote:Trying to "show them something different" is always a great approach, IMO. The Senko under a float would probably be something they've seldom or never seen before. As is a "fly" under a float. I've got a rod to do that, but haven't yet. The "flies" they use in TN look to be a lot smaller than the SPRO unit...but I haven't compared them in person.

Having seen live lizards of some sort floating, not swimming, up off the bottom in Riffe Lake, Dropshotting a lizard would seem to be pretty realistic. So, I regularly DS a lizard, often paired with a straight tail worm of some sort on a second hook. My thought is to find out which they want, and where they want it...close to the bottom, or more up off the bottom. Some days they want one, and some days, the other. Experimenting and learning keeps it interesting. Who would want to catch a fish on every trip and every cast? Um.... [thumbsup]
Agreed. Never stop experimenting and learning! That's the fun part. You see others out there that want me to te'' them what to throw so they don't have to put in any of the leg work.

I've heard of a senko on a float before, but I can't get myself to do it yet. I won't even texas rig a senko because all of my confidence is fishing it wacky rigged either weightless or on a light wacky jig head lol.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:10 pm

I don't even remember the last time I caught a Bass on a wacky rigged senko. A year or 2 or so ago. But my very first senko Bass back in '02 was on a wacky rigged senko. And no I'm not going to say what color, that's a secret. :-"
Tom.

Interests: living