Late Spring Bass Struggles

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
HGoakey
Angler

Late Spring Bass Struggles

Post by HGoakey » Mon May 22, 2017 10:15 pm

Good evening,

Since I've been home from school for the summer (Go Cougs!) I'm spending the majority of the time on the lakes around the Graham area in my float tube searching for bass. Last summer, I was always able to bring in a decent amount of largemouth from May-August with no issues. So far, getting on the lake 10-12 times since the beginning of May, I haven't been able to catch nothing but weeds. I'll haul in a couple each outing, but nowhere near the amount that seems 'normal' for this time of year.

I've thrown soft plastics, frogs, jigs, spinners, poppers, etc. and even resorted to the always-abundant black/blue flk Senko, with barely any luck. Just wanting to hear from y'all about what has worked for you this time of year. There's plenty of beds still, and I don't believe they've come out of spawn quite yet. I don't believe I'm quite in desperation mode quite yet, but it's getting close. [biggrin] I primarily float on Whitman lake, and I've taken a couple trips to Tanwax and Clear. If you guys have any tips I'd love to hear them!

Thanks to all, and happy fishing
Howard

253Caster
Warrant Officer

Re: Late Spring Bass Struggles

Post by 253Caster » Tue May 23, 2017 4:34 am

Try fishing a little deeper. There is still lots of pre spawners out there on those lakes... The bed fish get the crap kicked out of them though so I usually leave them alone to do their thing.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue May 23, 2017 9:51 am

I just got home from the lake. So am now cooking fish and fries. [sneaky] Got my 6 shallow, didn't see any beds where I was fishing. Ok, ok, yes I released all my fish as usual. :) Yes do fish deeper, even down to 15 and 20 foot. The spawn is mostly over, but there will be some spawners into July, so the Bass will be all over. Now is the time to start dropshotting, and jigging deep, with deeper diving and mid depth crankbaits. Fish over weeds and by pads and docks. Be sure to try top water now.
Tom.

Interests: living

253Caster
Warrant Officer

Post by 253Caster » Wed May 24, 2017 4:55 am

Mostly over? :scratch:
Some lakes I know of just had their first big wave move up to spawn. I think it depends on what lake you are fishing, for sure. The weather delayed the spawn on my home lake this year as well. They are just now starting to bed good as of this last week.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed May 24, 2017 9:17 am

Yes, it ALWAYS depends on the individual lake. 2 lakes side by side can have different spawning seasons, by a week or two. The MAJOR season is over/about over, for the lake I fish most.
Tom.

Interests: living