New Bass book from long time NWFR Bob Johansen..

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

New Bass book from long time NWFR Bob Johansen..

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:07 pm

Wow! This is really great! I had noticed in a recent lake report, a fellow angler from NWFR has written a book on Washington state bass fishing. I immediatlly ordered it via Amazon. Book just came today.

For those of you not familiar, Bob in my opinion at least, is a HUGE silent supporter of this website, NWFR. So many of the lake maps, and SO many of the lake descriptions that you read, when you open a lake up via the website, and want to read a bit about the lake access, or what species inhabit a lake, etc. Many of these were written by Bob. He has kept a written journal of sorts, covering his experience on more lakes than you can count, all over the state. Going back YEARS! Many times when you log a report for bass fishing, Bob may come in there and comment about what his journal shows for his own experience on the same lake in years past.

Here is a link to his book; https://www.amazon.com/Washington-Bass- ... b+Johansen

The book lists numerous lakes in ALL areas of the state it seems. The lake discussion and fishing discussion is sometimes brief, but other times very in depth. What I liked very much about the book is that it really has a lot of information about various aspects of bass fishing techniques, and also a section on sort of dispelling rumors. I'm referring to if someone says that you cannot fish bass 'gear' from a fly rod, Bob will go on to discuss how with an 8wt rod, you can certainly throw some various forms of bass 'gear' as opposed to only bass 'flies' (I appreciated that story)
It reads as if written from a guy who would be in your boat. Not like a general author who knows a little about various things.

Anyway, a great read and tool for the arsenal.

Thanks again Bob for all of your history, and what you bring to the fishing community! =D> =D>

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: New Bass book from long time NWFR Bob Johansen..

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:42 pm

yes, Bob has provided a lot to NWFR members over the years and I have been very fortunate to have him as a fishing buddy, showing me bass lakes and techniques that improved my skills. I was lucky enough to make a few videos with him as well.

The book is well worth the money and a great way to say "thanks" to a long time NWFR member, now pushing (I believe) 88 years young. [thumbsup]

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

KevinS
Petty Officer

Post by KevinS » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Eagerly awaiting for my copy to arrive - hopefully this Thursday or Friday.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:10 pm

(89). Mike. :-"

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:42 am

The Quadfather wrote:(89). Mike. :-"
That was a fun day!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:24 am

This book will make a perfect xmas present for my fish crazy brother :)

Thanks for posting this!

8theB8
Warrant Officer

Post by 8theB8 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:57 pm

Bob is THE man!

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks for all the kind words

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:26 pm

I'd forgotten about the book, and couldn't get it back when it became available. So I just ordered it. [thumbsup] It'll be great reading. Thanks Bob.
Tom.

Interests: living

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:53 pm

I ordered one to give to my fishing crazed brother for xmas.

Of course, I am going to have to make sure all the pages are in the correct order before I wrap it up.....

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:24 pm

[biggrin]

Mine is due to arrive Saterday.
Tom.

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:40 am

The book was a fun project. Thanks for the comments! Dave Shorett added a lot with his fly fishing experience. I thought his intro article was pretty good. It kinda shows how an angler can get hooked on bass fishing.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:18 am

Yup, it was real easy for me to get stuck on Bass fishing. The first Bass I saw was in a small creek in N. Calif. I was bluegill fishing with a bobber and worm. I was walking back along the creek fishing my way home. A small fish swam out to grab the worm as I was reeling it back. I stopped the reeling and the fish turned away. I started reeling and the fish turned and tried to catch up. I stopped reeling and the fish turned away again. I did that for 3 casts, same results. There were 2 or 3 other fish there that didn't move during all this.

I went to the tackle store, bought a metal lure and used it. Went back to the creek and the first cast the fish grabbed it. I had to ask my dad what kind of fish it was. It was a Largemouth. I've been stuck on Bass ever since. And that fish was only about 8" or 10" long.
Tom.

8theB8
Warrant Officer

Post by 8theB8 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:05 am

As I travel this State on my County Quest I have found this book invaluable! Especially when there is ZERO cell coverage and I have to research the next stop or change destinations on the fly.

This book and a gazetteer and you do not need old Mr. Internet [thumbsup] Thanks again Bob! :salut: :salut: :salut: