Spring spawn

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Pain_in_the_bass
Angler

Spring spawn

Post by Pain_in_the_bass » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:04 am

Around when does this start up for us NW guys.....I'm out in Auburn......I imagine the tiny lake I go to all the time has warmed up enough......anyone seeing anything

fishnislife
Admiral

RE:Spring spawn

Post by fishnislife » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:24 am

Nope. Fished a smaller lake yesterday and the water temp (surface temp) was 51. Now granted, this was the nicest day we've had for a couple weeks. We haven't had consistant enough weather yet. When we get warmer weather the water will heat up continually and the spawn will be on. But with a nice day here to warm the water up and then 5 days of cold rain, your right back at mid to high 40's again. April will be the start of spawn for some bodies of water. Once the water gets consistantely above 55-60 almost all bass will be into spawning mode. Get up over 65 and everyone should have dropped off the babies by then. And remember it all depends, not on the month it is in the year, but the weather within that month and the next. What I mean is, traditionally you might here, "bass spawn in March or April", well not if the weather doesn't support it they won't.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

danielt
Commander

Post by danielt » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:34 am

Pain_in_the_bass wrote:Around when does this start up for us NW guys.....I'm out in Auburn......I imagine the tiny lake I go to all the time has warmed up enough......anyone seeing anything
Right now is perfect time to be out on those 20-60 acre ponds. Every one I know is catching consistent toads in smaller lakes right now. We are still a ways off from spawn itself but the bass are definitely moved up and catchable.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:54 am

Pain_in_the_bass wrote:Around when does this start up for us NW guys.....I'm out in Auburn......I imagine the tiny lake I go to all the time has warmed up enough......anyone seeing anything
Try your lake,if you like smallmouth action. Try Lake Tapps,the smallies are already moving up. I've seen multiple smallies around the stumps on Dike 6 and some off Dike 4. All located in the North Tapps Park. Last year at this time I even saw one in the swimming area. I'm not saying the bite is on just yet,but they are certainly getting ready.:thumright

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:03 pm

It is hard to pass up sight fishing these bass on their beds. But The bigggg bass I have caught have been during the sunfish spawn still sight fishing but man are they aggressive!! I usually don't hit the spawn I am still catching the big trout and don't like raiding beds but more power to you that do.Next weekend I hope to find some fish prespawn. My lake is at 47-49 degrees right now they will be up and around soon.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Pain_in_the_bass
Angler

Post by Pain_in_the_bass » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:51 am

I fish holmes lake out in auburn.....probably hit that up this friday........anyone else been there>>?

BLACKLAB
Petty Officer

Post by BLACKLAB » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:00 pm

There coming up into the shallows now. Just gotta work hard. Here is mine from last Monday, 3.3lbs.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:28 pm

good looking fish blacklab

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:01 pm

Correction, they have been in the shallows ;) Good lookin fish !
aka Powerworm

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:05 pm

Fish it after a nice day, or two, or a streak of a few...Probably have some good luck...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:33 am

kevinb wrote:
Try your lake,if you like smallmouth action. Try Lake Tapps,the smallies are already moving up. I've seen multiple smallies around the stumps on Dike 6 and some off Dike 4. All located in the North Tapps Park. Last year at this time I even saw one in the swimming area. I'm not saying the bite is on just yet,but they are certainly getting ready.:thumright
The bite is on. Hit Lake Tapps Monday evening. Picked up 2 smallies. The first one hit hard,real hard.
Its about time.:thumleft:

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:02 am

blacklab is that trout lake? i think i know that spot. that fish is pretty dark, its been in the shallows for awhile.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

BLACKLAB
Petty Officer

Post by BLACKLAB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:07 pm

:cheers:

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:43 am

Just when the water starts warming up a little, we get about 3" of snow in Bonney Lake...This is some crazy weather. I hope it doesn't cool off the smaller lakes too much.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:36 am

Most of the lakes on the far east side of the state are still frozen or very frigid. Still waiting to get out there... its killin me. Was planning on hitting an open lake tomorrow but I woke up with 2" of snow on the ground. Im thinkin its still gonna be a while over here. So I know when to judge the bass spawn, but I do know that the perch, crappie and bluegill spawns can be great times too. How do you judge that one?

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:01 pm

My Lake dropped 5 degrees it was so close to 50 now it is 45.#-o
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Bassmaster2008
Petty Officer

Post by Bassmaster2008 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:18 pm

Yeah its snowing giant snowflakes right now in Tacoma and also did so last night.....@#$@ that can't be good

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:47 pm

Bassmaster2008 wrote:Yeah its snowing giant snowflakes right now in Tacoma and also did so last night.....@#$@ that can't be good
nope not good at all. its gonna push them back down for a couple of days
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:36 am

i cant wait for the water to get to the right temps at my two lakes. i've done so much research into bass this winter, so i want to finally get one over 10 oz! me and fm were talking about the spawn all day today while on the lake.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:51 am

JT26 wrote:i cant wait for the water to get to the right temps at my two lakes. i've done so much research into bass this winter, so i want to finally get one over 10 oz! me and fm were talking about the spawn all day today while on the lake.
It was starting to heat up until this severe cold front. I'm going to Tapps in the afternoon,I'll try hitting the previous spots where I caught some earlier in the week. I highly doubt their in there but I have to try. Who knows,fish are unpredictable..as soon as you think you got them figured out. BAM,their doing something else.