Small Streams and Creeks

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishinManiac
Petty Officer

Small Streams and Creeks

Post by FishinManiac » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:39 pm

I'm starting to get into the close quarters, combat fishing which is small streams and creeks. So far, I feel that I've been doing pretty well, but curious about how others approach small streams; what kinds of leaders and rods do you use, fly selection, types of water, etc. By small, I mean streams that get relatively low fishing pressure and might be 10 feet wide at some of its widest parts. Anyways. I've been doing pretty well, but just curious and looking for other perspectives.

drysuperfly52
Commander

Re: Small Streams and Creeks

Post by drysuperfly52 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:11 pm

I use a 4 weight rod, 3lb leader (not tapered just plain fluorocarbon leader) that's about 4ft long and a fluffy size 14 royal coachman. You can't go wrong in smaller west side mountain creeks with setup. Keep your leader short for easier placement and control on the small water and where back casting is difficult. I have had numerous 100fish days this way.

Just be sure you debarb your hook, you don't want to go ripping jaws on every 6" trout.

Good luck
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:00 pm

Dry flies, and small soft hackle wet flies. Size 8 adams, size 12 elk hair caddis, size 8 griffiths gnat, and size 12 caddis larvae and adult caddis (dark colored) seem to have worked well for me in the past for small stream trout, i wouldnt overlook nymphing either, a size 8 phesant tail or size 12 prince nymph would probably do well deppending on which streams you hit. Im no expert, but ive also had 100 fish days on small streams. i cant speak to the effectiveness of the royal coachman as i havnt used them yet.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:12 am

love small stream fishing. gonna go to one this evening. i use my 3wt and 2lb test leader, mono just because its cheap and does well for me. flies vary.

FishinManiac
Petty Officer

Post by FishinManiac » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:42 am

Are small streams a good place to practice skills? I've only used dries so far and love it, the fish don't seem to care (or can't care) what fly I use but would small streams be good places to, for instance, practice nymphing techniques?

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:30 pm

Yes, but deppends on the creek, creek fishing helped me with my acuracy, it has helped me with presentation and fish stalking skills. Ive still got plenty to learn, but a creek is definately a harbor of good lessons to learn, which is why i like stream fishing as much as i do.
For nymphing youll want to fish deeper holes, you can nymph as a dropper under a dry fly or under a fly indicator. I like a bead head pheasant tail under an elk hair caddis best because the elk hair caddis floats very high in the water, and is very bouyant, which means it will work as an indicator itself.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.