• Beginner fly fishing info

• Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules: Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
 #238599  by FishAddict
 Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:10 am
I'm wanting to get into fly fishing primarily in rivers for salmon. I would like some suggestions on rod/reel types size to target both the biggest and smallest fish in the rivers but would also work on lakes for trout. I'm not looking for the "holy grail" of fly fishing equipment just a middle of the road type of equipment that will last a while and is durable while I am learning.
 #238606  by branweeds
 Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:24 pm
Fly rods and reels are categorized by "weights" generally from a 2 or 3 and up from there. A three weight would be much lighter, and good for alpine trout fishing/etc.. For salmon you could use anything from a 7,8,9.. depends on preference. I wouldn't buy a rod without going to a local fly shop and getting their recommendation for what you are looking to do. Plus they might have some free or cheap casting lessons that would make a world of difference in getting started. I recently got into it and I have had a blast, but haven't moved up to salmon yet. I caught a some big dollies and feisty rainbows from Ross lake a couple weeks ago and it was one of the best fishing experiences I have had! That was on my 5 weight 9' Temple Fork Outfitters NXT rod I picked up for like 60 bucks.
 #238610  by FishAddict
 Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:43 pm
Thanks for the info! Am definitely going to find a local shop and try to find some casting lessons once I get everything together.
 #238611  by The Quadfather
 Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:02 pm
Not sure where you live... but if in Seattle, check out The Avid Angler in Lake Forest Park.
Super nice folks! Fly shops are great.. they are like an old-school barbershop. It will be the same 3-4 guys working, always happy to teach.
Example.... today, brought my friend in. Has never fly fished. He showed them the reels and line he bought on Ebay. They told him the lines were high quality, and that he did not need new line. (Fly lines can run $70-90, etc.
They could have sold a bunch of stuff, but they were a class act.
(You dont need lines that expensive--you are just starting out, just sayin'
Have fun!

Branweeds... I love my Temple Fork Outfitters spinning rod, awesome.