Recommendations for an 8 wt reel.

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Recommendations for an 8 wt reel.

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:20 pm

I am looking to start doing more fly fishing this summer. I am looking for an 8 wt. reel. It will be for throwing larger bass flies. Also for bull trout fishing. Can't remember what I will be throwing, but the guide might have said, larger streamers. He recommended an 8 wt rod.
I did place a thread in the classifieds here, but wanted to reach out to the fly guys who read this forum. If you have one you want to part with, let me know
But also, if you have any recommendations for a decent American made 8 wt. reel, please let me know. Somewhere in the middle of the pack. No 50 dollar reels, but no 400.00 ones either. Couple hundred buck, whata ya like?

rseas
Commander

Re: Recommendations for an 8 wt reel.

Post by rseas » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:35 pm

I love my Lamson 7 weight. It is an awesome reel with a sealed drag that just keeps getting smoother every time I take it out.

Chris, how are you and the new FF getting along? Mine still amazes me, the images are incredible.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:41 pm

rseas wrote:I love my Lamson 7 weight. It is an awesome reel with a sealed drag that just keeps getting smoother every time I take it out.

Chris, how are you and the new FF getting along? Mine still amazes me, the images are incredible.
Geez! Finally a response on reels. Let me know what model it is, or maybe it isn't made any more? I picked up an 8wt. rod today so I am about ready to start casting those crazy bass flies that I have aquired the past couple years. Mainly I am looking at a guided trip on the Sauk for bull trout in late Aug. the biologist suggested an 8 wt.
The new FF.. Oh man,, tonight is my night to get into the garage and install it, and I'm dinking on the computer.
edit: That was "dinking" not drinking.

I'm completely getting off this thing and into the garage! I'll let you know.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Not made in America, but a beautiful reel. It's designed and engineered in Germany. I have these two and love them. The RLS is made by Okuma for Cabela's. Read the reviews.

http://tinyurl.com/77dpd4y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.okumafishing.com/product/vi ... els/helios" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue May 01, 2012 7:19 am

I use an Okuma Integrity. You can ususally pick up a reel and extra spool for around C note. It's a very serviceable reel. Certaily not a Ross or Lamson. A lot of guides up north use them because of price and reliability. I have no complaints what so ever about mine other than I need to use it more. The drag works really well and it didn't put a big hole in my pocket. Make sure to get an Al model and not magnesium if you intend to do any salt water excursions.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:51 pm

Chris- I'm really really late replying but...

I have really old Pfluegers that work great still. I always liked their click kind of drag sound. Not too noisy, not so smooth to make it seem less intense. Just right IMO. They were fairly cheap years ago so figure they're probably still reasonable.

An 8 weight sounds way heavy though IMO for a rod, especially for a newbie. What kind of guide was this, salmon?

I'd go for something more like 6 weight for bass but just my opinion. Hope you have been doing well!