Newb, looking to throw a fly around.

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
billa98272
Petty Officer

Newb, looking to throw a fly around.

Post by billa98272 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:43 am

Looking at hitting a local (Snohomish/Monroe) lake with my Daughter. Was going to bring a 4wt fly rod and give it a try. Question is I have no idea to start, Dry fly or wet fly, what Pattern, Floating or Sinking line and Tippet suggections. I know its a lot of info. And I could spend hours , but figured someone maybe able to throw a guy a bone here. Trying to get out tomorrow night. I have tying material, a 4wt rod, Drift Boat, and willing to share a trip or two for guys being helpful. I'm more of a gear/tackle guy so thats why all the fly fishing questions.

kevinflint
Angler

Re: Newb, looking to throw a fly around.

Post by kevinflint » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:06 am

Wet flys.... 7.5 to 9 ft 5x leader plus any necessary tippet material on fully floating line. I have best success with at total leader and tippet length of roughly 10 feet. I suggest streamer and/or bugger wet flies both bead head and non, dark colors. You can troll that set up or anchor and still fish with a SLOW retreive of the fly. Keep you rod tip near the surface of the water rather than up high away from the surface. When you feel the fish take the fly, simply lift the rod and retreive the slack... FISH ON!!! Check the fishing reports here and the stocking info on wdfw.com to select a lake. General season doesn't open till 25th, so be sure to select a lake open to year round fishing. Wish you tight lines!!

billa98272
Petty Officer

Post by billa98272 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:13 am

was thinking Chain Lake, work bugs out...

billa98272
Petty Officer

Post by billa98272 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:24 am

Thank for the direction too... I think I have most of this stuff.... I have some black wooly buggers already tied.

juan1981
Petty Officer

Post by juan1981 » Wed May 13, 2015 7:22 am

In the same boat as you! Just got my fly fishing combo from Amazon and man............. I'm terrible! lol
It's so hard to keep my wrist from not moving... one tip though, I know they recommend using a nail knot to tie leader to fly line but I've found that a surgeons knot works just as good and is easier and quicker to tie