Visitor Fishing Recommendations

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fishingforflys
Angler

Visitor Fishing Recommendations

Post by Fishingforflys » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:29 am

Hello,

Some friends and I are traveling to Washington State from July 27-August 8 and we are getting a three day fishing license. Since we only have 3 days to fish we want to maximize the amount of fun. We are from Georgia, we are all experienced fly fishermen, and we practice catch and release.

Some of the areas we are camping at/visiting are: Olympic peninsula, ranier, enchantments, and the cascades.

Of those areas where would you suggest that we use our 3 days of fishing? I will do my own research into specific streams and hatches from that point. Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.

Austin

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Visitor Fishing Recommendations

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:36 am

OK, So the OP is a very large place. It's hard to make any sort of recommendations other than catch some salmon out at Neah Bay. Get a guide and slam some Kings. Lots of guides in the Forks area, you'd have to ask about summer runs.
If you mean Mt Rainier National Park, then unless it's changed you don't need a WA fishing license inside the park, check at the Rangers station. It's been years but most of the lakes around the Wonderland Trail have very little fishing pressure and they hold Cutts and Brookies, be ready for a hike but it's worth it.
The Enchantments, It's a stiff walk in lots of little lakes with little fish. Not what I would call a fishing destination but its a beautiful place to experience all it's splendor, Fall being the best time when the Larch trees are changing.
If you're really on a fly fishing trout expedition, I would suggest getting a guide to take you on the Yakima, Klickitat and Upper Columbia. There is one of the fly shops in Ellensburg that guides all three and could coordinate a very good experience. Shoot me a PM if you need some help or details.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:35 pm

If you aren't into salmon in the salt, I would recommend the Forks area on the OP. I've had good luck with the Three Rivers Resort about 10 miles west of Forks on the Bogachiel River. The have nice cabins, guides with drift boats and a good location with 3 rivers to fish for summer Steelhead and Chinooks. They have a website. And, if you are so inclined, it is only a few miles to La Push for salmon and bottomfish in the salt. You can even fly fish for bottomfish. With only three days to fish, a guided trip is the only way to go, otherwise you prob wont find much.

Fishingforflys
Angler

Post by Fishingforflys » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:27 am

Thanks for the advice. We probably won't get a guide because we are cheap and we like to explore. We'll probably do a little fishing around the Forks area and then also maybe some salt fishing around Puget Sound.

Per your suggesting Bodofish, we may also try exploring/fishing the wonderland trail.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:19 am

Fishingforflys wrote:Thanks for the advice. We probably won't get a guide because we are cheap and we like to explore. We'll probably do a little fishing around the Forks area and then also maybe some salt fishing around Puget Sound.

Per your suggesting Bodofish, we may also try exploring/fishing the wonderland trail.
PM me if you need any help when in the area. The fly club I belong to is having an outing to fish the middle fork of the Snoqualmie on Sat. and if you let me know when (edit) / Where you are going to be I can be more detailed about where to fish.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!