fly fishing for coho?

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Teenangler07nwest
Petty Officer

fly fishing for coho?

Post by Teenangler07nwest » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:49 pm

I know it is closed for retention pretty much everywhere except of hood canal but I want to wet a fly for coho. I was thinking fast sinking tip and unweighted green/white and green/pink/white clousers about 3in long. I would be casting from the beach of casting towards beach/cove for them. Can anyone give me any tips and suggestions about gear or the way to fish the fly, tides, or anything helpful to help me get my first salmon on the fly??? Thanks. Tight lines and dry waders.

Jakob the teen angler

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: fly fishing for coho?

Post by Bodofish » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:03 am

Normally incoming tide. Cast as far as you can and strip like a mother. Find a point or some structure that will put them in your range. Another one they like is Patrick's Flashabou Comet in the colors you've names. I don't think I would be concerned with unweighted flies. Most of what you will use in the salt is weighted. Or try and hit them in a river if it's open. As for gear, big heavy rods cast big heavy lines with big heavy flies to big heavy fish. A stripping basket is always nice for the salt.
Cast, cast, cast, cast, cast, cast, cast.............. And cast some more. Go get 'em!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:33 am

Better read the regs. I think it is not just "closed to retention" of Coho, it is closed to salmon fishing everywhere, except for Hood Canal, after 10/1 and only south of the Hood Canal bridge.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:39 am

Good point, didn't even think about it as I've about given up fishing any rivers on this side or PS.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:51 am

I know, bummer. Except for the 4 years I lived in Billings and the 5 I lived in Spokane, this is the first Fall for 60 years that I haven't fished for Coho. I may try the MA 12 Coho fishery when it opens on 10/1, although I have no idea where to go or launch.

p.t.
Warrant Officer

Post by p.t. » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:44 pm

Depending on the place you go. If there's a lot of seaweed underwater, you may not want to use fast sinking line, or even intermediate line. It may catch seaweed. Seaweed has always been a problem for me.

Other things to factor in might be your stripping speed, and the grade of the beach. If you do a slow retrieve (which means the line and the fly have a longer time to sink), or if the beach is pretty flat (which means the bottom is not very deep at 80ft out), a fast sinking line may get you into more trouble than good.

Also, the current. When it's strong, when it's week, ...

Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Post by Ian Horning » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:56 am

It makes it a whole lot easier to fish a full sink intermediate or the like, and depending on the beach, different weights of flies. Those streamer tips heads are nice because they are clear and shoot distance real easy.
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:51 am

there's always sea run cutthroat. I have no idea if they are open in the salt. I would think a large, stripped fly would be effective against both species, retrieved in the same manner.
I admire guys that can flick a fly far enough to do this!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:32 am

Mike Carey wrote:there's always sea run cutthroat. I have no idea if they are open in the salt. I would think a large, stripped fly would be effective against both species, retrieved in the same manner.
I admire guys that can flick a fly far enough to do this!
Sea Run Cutts have always presented a decent opportunity close to shore in the salt - however they are no longer to be retained in any of WA State marine areas - at least in Puget Sound. I haven't checked the regs for the coast, but doubt it would afford the same type of fishery.

I for one hope that retention rule changes in the next couple of years, as I have fond memories of catching and grilling those beauties in late summers gone by.

onmygame

ChromeSlayer
Petty Officer

Post by ChromeSlayer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:12 pm

Try a pink and white or tan and white flesh fly.
ChromeSlayer it's not just a name it's a lifestyle.