Fly Fishing

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
colokid
Angler

Fly Fishing

Post by colokid » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:46 am

First year for fly fishing. Looking for some help on where to go starting March 1. Looking for places north of everett and is good for beginners. Thank You for your input.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Re: Fly Fishing

Post by branweeds » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:57 am

I am just getting into fly fishing as well, I'm up in Bellingham. I know last year when I gave it a couple shots I had luck on some rainbows in Whatcom Creek and Squalicum Lake, and Squalicum lake is open year round
Last edited by branweeds on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:59 am

I will PM you some good information I found about other locations!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:32 am

It kind of depends on if you have boat or a tube or something to float on. And I'm guessing if you're talking March first, you're looking at lakes. BTW March 1st opener is for EW Lowland lakes, Lakes in the Quincy Wildlife refuge and some of the Seep Lakes. Both places have some nice small lakes that a guy with waders can navigate. If you're still thinking about North of Everett, there is Martha Lake out towards Kayak Point. It's year round selective gear and has bows and browns as well as Bass and panfish.
If you are looking for some help and guidance in fly fishing, please check us out, we would love to help you get started.
https://northwestflyanglers.wildapricot.org/
We host monthly trips to different destinations, walk in and floating and always someone to give you had with any questions you may have.

And branweeds you're more than welcome to join us too. It would be a bit of drive for monthly meetings but we do have members from Easter Washington, Idaho and Oregon that meet up with us on our outings.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:30 pm

Thanks for the info Bodofish, if I have time to join an outing or meeting I would love to!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:39 am

I can give current conditions on local basin lakes. I fish both Quincy and Burke. Both are iced over right now but the local Martha Lake is open. It is fishable from shore with a fly rod.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:38 am

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:I can give current conditions on local basin lakes. I fish both Quincy and Burke. Both are iced over right now but the local Martha Lake is open. It is fishable from shore with a fly rod.
Yep, pretty much. About 40 people crowded around the open end of Martha (1/8 of the lake). Folks out on Burke with the ice augers....... Not sure I would want to walk out on them as we've had a few warmings. Was that you in the pickup camper at Burke? I've seen the rig there when you've said you were at the lake. It's been just about 10 years since the lakes have been frozen for opening day.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:32 am

It wasn't me. I'm waiting for open lakes so I can boat and fish chironomids. I'm busy now with a part time job at the Moses Lake Sportsman's Warehouse.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:51 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:It wasn't me. I'm waiting for open lakes so I can boat and fish chironomids. I'm busy now with a part time job at the Moses Lake Sportsman's Warehouse.
I guess it could be worse, working at a toy store is always fun. The Quincy lakes are always one of my favorites year after year. Always a good spot to get some fishing and sunshine in..