Reel help

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
spokey9
Captain

Reel help

Post by spokey9 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:47 pm

I've got a 2 piece 9wt Fenwick hmg fly rod I'm planning on using for kings & silvers primarily in the rivers or from the beach near shallow mouths where gear is difficult to fish. I've pretty much decided I like the look and features (also the price lol) of the reddington behemoth. My question is do I need a 9/10 model or would I be able to run a 9wt line on their 7/8 model and still have enough backing for a big run?
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Reel help

Post by Bodofish » Sun May 07, 2017 8:12 am

Personally I would go larger. Since you're talking salt, make sure it has a sealed drag system.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:16 am

I won't be doing a lot of salt fishing. Just places like Chico or other Creek mouths similar to that. The behemoth is a capped drag not completely sealed, but I haven't seen any issues on the reviews with salt killing it. At least if it's rinsed well after use.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 10, 2017 10:49 am

spokey9 wrote:I won't be doing a lot of salt fishing. Just places like Chico or other Creek mouths similar to that. The behemoth is a capped drag not completely sealed, but I haven't seen any issues on the reviews with salt killing it. At least if it's rinsed well after use.
I like them, it's a really neat reel with that big V spool, should be a monster. I used a couple Okuma's in the salt for quite some time. Just try to keep from dipping it and rinse well, strip the line down to the backing and rinse it really good.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!