Cutthroat

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishAddict
Petty Officer

Cutthroat

Post by FishAddict » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:22 am

SRC fishing has been heating up on the beaches! =P~ also still have a little more time for blackmouth before the season closes.

Has anyone else been out fishing lately?

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Re: Cutthroat

Post by branweeds » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:09 pm

Managed to go out for cutthroat a couple weeks ago, MA9. A couple nice cutties, but nothing else. I’m trying to get back down there within the next couple weeks with my freshly tied Miyawaki poppers and chum fry patterns. Going to explore north Hood a little more as well.

What have you been throwing?

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:10 am

Image have done pretty well with this. Will post more pictures later. Copying links sucks on my phone.

These also have worked very well.

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:20 pm

And I've been sticking close to home, 8-2 has been awesome since I started fly fishing in January. Lots of rezzies and 10 blackmouth ( 4 keepers) so far. Hoping for one more before the season closes.

Eglseder
Petty Officer

Post by Eglseder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:39 pm

FishAddict wrote:And I've been sticking close to home, 8-2 has been awesome since I started fly fishing in January. Lots of rezzies and 10 blackmouth ( 4 keepers) so far. Hoping for one more before the season closes.

Very nice! I'm kicking my self for not chasing beach cutties with my flyrod when I lived over there! Blackmouth would have been a huge bonus.

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:57 am

It's been a little tough with the time change. Early morning has been best for blackmouth, got out a little later than what I wanted on sunday and wasn't ready for the short window. Bait close to the beach with a few large fish crashing thru them. By the time I got setup they were out of casting range for me.

Yesterday afternoon was pretty awesome just before dark for cutties. They were all over the beach and I'm thinking I need to tie up some top water flies.

most fish were about the same size (12") though I did see some larger fish jump.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:59 am

nice looking bucktails!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:15 am

Had another great evening of fishing 730 - 830 it really turned on.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:15 pm

Man are those some nice fish!

I tied these up a few days ago as well as some others, I'll be using the popper to try to find my first topwater cutty (or blackmouth... spoke to a guy who caught a 6 lb blackmouth on the same style popper at the beach I will be fishing next week.) The UV baitfish with Senyo predator wrap (green material) were what caught all my fish last trip.

I am heading over to the Kitsap Peninsula to try my luck. Hopefully it will be worth the drive!
Attachments
IMG_8532.jpg

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:49 pm

I've got to get some predator wrap, those are some awesome looking flies! I just need to convince my wife I need more material.

It's going to be a wet weekend, great weather for fishing as long as the wind stays down. I'll be out early!