Too much!

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishAddict
Petty Officer

Too much!

Post by FishAddict » Mon May 07, 2018 8:41 pm

Here's a few flies I've tied recently. Seems I always end up with too much materisl [cursing]

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Too much!

Post by BentRod » Tue May 08, 2018 5:52 am

Those look good! Too much material? Don’t see it. If you think your feathers hang too far off the backed the hook, try using some type of measurement device when laying down the marabou. For palmered feathers you don’t have much choice though outside of picking material out at the store.
Good job.

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Tue May 08, 2018 10:42 am

Thanks! I guess I envision what it'll look like with 1 feather, it never works out and to me looks like I've put 3 feathers in there. But I've only been tying for 3 months.

I have learned to limit how many different materials I pull out. If ive got stuff laying around ill manage to find a place to tie it in lol

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue May 08, 2018 10:48 am

What size are those? 8 or 10? Pretty good really for only 3 mo in. Takes a bit to figure out the nuances of the material and thread. Remember, the fish typical care less how they look than we do. Some of my flies and jigs are ugly, but they still catch fish.

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Tue May 08, 2018 5:06 pm

#4 SL11's and #4 U302's I don't really like the U302's so I'm trying to use them up

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Wed May 09, 2018 3:41 am

ImageImage

these were tied on a #6 got a little carried away with thread and had to go over the bead.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:23 pm

Not bad! You'll get used to how much materials to use with experience. I sucked pretty bad when i first started tying. You're doing pretty good for only 3 months in.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.