Fly Fishing Help !

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Grayson Everett
Angler

Fly Fishing Help !

Post by Grayson Everett » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:24 pm

I have been bass fishing since I was a little kid but never got into fly fishing. I do a lot of hiking and while I'm out I see many cool trout fishing locations on the streams and rivers that run through our state parks. Pretty sure I have been fatally bitten by the fly fishing bait monkey but am looking for some advice on a beginner setup.

After doing some research it seems like there are a bunch of different recommendations but not nearly as much info as you can find on bass fishing. Looking to just get a beginner set up to learn on then hopefully upgrade later if I like it. I was at Walmart today and saw they have a Courtland Fairplay combo for 40 bucks. I looked up reviews and it seems like it is not the worst possible combo to learn on as it has a Weighted Forward taper line. The rod itself is a 8' 5/6 wt rod. I will be using this for mostly trout and panfish if I can ever figure out how to use it. Does this seem like a good place to start?
Grayson Everett

Kastmaster 777
Angler

Re: Fly Fishing Help !

Post by Kastmaster 777 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:28 pm

I have bought the Courtland Fairplay combo and its a descent combo for beginners, I have been using it for a couple years now and only had to replace the rod since its cracked.