Why Coho is Not Biting?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Gwendylyn
Petty Officer

Re: Why Coho is Not Biting?

Post by Gwendylyn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:04 pm

obryan214 wrote:their is one lure that will work without fail when the fish refuse everything else. its called a dupont spinner, aka dynamite. it'll work but you may blow yourself up using it.
The hubby & I had been discussing more the .45 (defense not ball) route at home but I would bet a buck that your lure would work just as well [biggrin]

Oh and Hiya hawtness
Sir you have obviously been drinking... Sober up & get your eyes checked (jk... thank you [blush] )
The fish that got away, gains at least 2 lbs a day. It's science.

ydeardorff
Petty Officer

Post by ydeardorff » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:04 am

Not that I wish my failures in salmon fishing on others,....but it does make me feel abit better that despite my 40 years of trying to catch A salmon, to no avail, it is not just me that isnt having any luck. I too sat on the banks of the duwamish river, getting flipped off, and nearly wetted by the fish jumping at my feet, or even over my line. It's nice to know it's not a personal thing. Lol
Still how does one get them to bite?

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:12 pm

Ive brought 70-80 coho to hand so far this season.

2 things to consider: Coho in their traveling lanes are very fickle and less likely to strike lures UNLESS those lures interupt the path they are taking. As others have mentioned in this thread years ago, getting down into the bulk of the fish is of utmost importance. The bulk generally traveling within the bottom 2 feet of the river.

Holding fish are far more aggressive if they havn't been pounded on by other anglers and spooked/put off. The very first place in a river where fish start to stack is generally near the end of tidal influence. Look for structure there, logjams, pilings, cutbanks and ESPECIALLY slow froggy deep water and prefferably a combination of these things. If you can manage to position your self in this scenario before anyone else does, your chances go waaaay up on catching fish. In this situation you will likely be either immediately into fish or you'll need to move on to find more productive water. Putting in footwork and fishing many areas is important if your not immediately into fish. If you do get into fish but they stop biting, MOVE ON. Do not sit there and pound a spot to oblivion because you caught one or two. Move onto another spot(s) and give that spot a chance to rest. after 30+ minutes (bare minimum) you can circle back and fish it again. If you put in enough footwork and learn a river well enough you can eventually learn a beat of these hotspots and do circuits over them all day long and consistantly pull fish out in even the worst of conditions and amongst crowds of unknowing anglers often getting into double digit numbers while people around you are scratching their heads not catching anything.

(Yes im aware this is an old thread, but a new question was asked)
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.