Sturgeon fishing below Wanapum Dam

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dlantis
Angler

Sturgeon fishing below Wanapum Dam

Post by dlantis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:41 am

Can anyone tell me how to identify a hatchery sturgeon as opposed to a wild one? We have caught two very nice sturgeon below Wanapum Dam and both had the nostril enlarged on the left side of the fish. This fishery was opened to try to reduce the number of hatchery fish in the Priest Rapids and Wanapum pools but the two fish we have caught have been 53 and 63 inches fork length. Those fish have been in the river a long time the way I understand sturgeon growth rate and I doubt that they are from a hatchery.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Re: Sturgeon fishing below Wanapum Dam

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:47 am

Unfortunately there's no discernible difference between appearances of wild and hatchery sturgeon. You could have kept them under the hatchery fish season.

dlantis
Angler

Post by dlantis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:52 am

We did keep the fish, I was just curious about the enlarged nostril.

NWBoater45
Petty Officer

Post by NWBoater45 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:26 am

There is no markings for hatchery sturgeon. The WDFW Director was on either GPS Outdoors or NW Wild Country (I don't recall which show) just before the opener and said you just keep the ones legal size. They also don't need to go on your catch card for those two areas. The fish are 10+ years old and then the hatchery being so new didn't have the means to mark fish.

Ty_Thongdeth
Angler

Post by Ty_Thongdeth » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:37 am

dlantis wrote:Can anyone tell me how to identify a hatchery sturgeon as opposed to a wild one? We have caught two very nice sturgeon below Wanapum Dam and both had the nostril enlarged on the left side of the fish. This fishery was opened to try to reduce the number of hatchery fish in the Priest Rapids and Wanapum pools but the two fish we have caught have been 53 and 63 inches fork length. Those fish have been in the river a long time the way I understand sturgeon growth rate and I doubt that they are from a hatchery.
I think the color is different Because I never seen the dark almost black skin not like the one in Snake river they are only grey almost blue I hope that is correct but if you can find more diference I would love to learn too thank you