Whatcom Creek - Bellingham Wa

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

Re: Whatcom Creek - Bellingham Wa

Post by HULI_ISDA » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:35 pm

Wanted to try fishing this creek for the first time. Wonder if it's worth the drive. Wanna know if anyone been out lately and is the chum are in. Thank you

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:04 am

I would say to wait a week. Usually around the 10th of November is when I start to make plans to make it up there. In about 2 weeks you won't be able to keep them off your hooks. Then a week after thanksgiving it usually dies down drastically. Fortunately this year thanksgiving is early

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:30 am

riverhunter wrote:I would say to wait a week. Usually around the 10th of November is when I start to make plans to make it up there. In about 2 weeks you won't be able to keep them off your hooks. Then a week after thanksgiving it usually dies down drastically. Fortunately this year thanksgiving is early
It is still spotty. Last Sunday it was good, this morning it was a barren wasteland.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:05 pm

I went Thursday 8-12 saw probably 20 fish hooked.. Its still spotty but ya never know when its gonna turn on so if ya have the chance get up there n get a line wet

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:28 pm

was there yesterday, seals snacked on 2 of my 4 or so caught.... There are 5 seals this year and they will grab fish outta your hand when landing so be prepared... There are fish here, but already showing purple bars and black belly's, some big ones that's for sure..... If your not keeping them, place em in the tube and make sure to NOT just grab them by the tails! The fish biologist down there for a few hours was taking and showing the russians how to PROPERLY land and place them in the tube..... All i saw was gills and tails grabs.... LEARN HOW TO PROPERLY CARE FOR THESE FISH!

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:18 am

I can't release in the tube as I will not fish the wall but opposite of it. I usually just pull the hook out without removing them from the water. Touching them as little as possible. I only fish that creek to keep females as I'm looking for eggs for winter steelhead. I usually freeze a few skeins for the following year when my supplies are depleted.

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:43 am

Even the seals have mostly given up on the chum run this year. I can't believe there still aren't more than a handful of fish in there. I may recall something about the BTC hatchery having a major die-off a couple of years ago due to a power loss or some such thing - is this the return from that problem year? Does anyone else remember? Any BTC fisheries students or former students recall?

jake_k
Warrant Officer

Post by jake_k » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:00 pm

Former student here. The return should be fairly good size 3 years ago we took over 400,000 eggs. Its still early also they don't make good push until nearly thanksgiving.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:33 pm

That may be the case, but the past 3-5 years the fish were there 2 weeks into october and ended before thanksgiving...... I recently went back into my notes and the 1st chum i caught was october 7th...

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:05 am

Every year is different. Example, the creek I usually fish and catch silvers is ready to be fished by late sept first week of Oct. This year didn't see or better yet didn't catch anything until the 25th of Oct.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:15 am

I was planning on going tomorrow. Still might but idk if it's worth the drive if the run is late. Might give the coho one more weekend. Sounds like the runs are around 2 weeks behind for alot of species this year.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:05 pm

I wanted to try for coho one last time also but wasn't sure if it was still producing. Went the last 2 weekends and this past weekend was some tough fishing. With the waters dropping so much and clearing up quite a bit I had to put in more work then usual. If you happen to go for coho I was hoping you could share what you experience. You could pm me if you don't want it to public and in return I could share my experiences with you everytime I go out even if I don't catch any but others do well.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:53 pm

Chum run today was phenomenal, come to whatcom! its getting loaded, i was there for about 3 hours and the fish just kept coming in, seals disappeared and the fish are big!

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:12 pm

Went this morning from 9 to 11am. Saw a few small schools but barely anything. Maybe it's hot again this afternoon? Might go tomorrow but seems hit or miss right now.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:39 pm

It’s definitely hit or miss right now. Almost nothing all afternoon but a couple more schools later this evening. Hopefully they start coming in more consistently.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:41 am

Rivers gonna rise this week, i'm thinking they are gonna be pushing in fast from here on out.... Only saw 5 or 6 on beds in the nooksack way up river yesterday... I limited at whatcom in about 20 min and went up the sack from USA 9 all the way to the hatchery, didn't see anything on the nook but these 5/6 on bed.....

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:33 pm

Anything goin on yet?? Should be about time

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:46 pm

old post but what the hell... I have seen folks up there but haven't heard about anything special going on yet. Wait till thanksgiving time and slay some chum....

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:59 am

I think this huge rain might help? After last year I'm iffy on trying till I hear good things...

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:00 pm

It's still really slow. Tried for a couple hours yesterday since the rivers are blown and didn't see a single chum.