Snoho/Sky/Wallace Open for Coho!!!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sickbayer
Commodore

Re: Snoho/Sky/Wallace Open for Coho!!!

Post by sickbayer » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:30 am

So what is twitching? and how do you do it effectively ?

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:02 am

Twitching a jig is when you gently bouce a jig along the bottom. The trick to it is maintaining some slackas you gently twitch your rod tip. 1/4 and 3/8th oz jigs are best. This technique should be used in slow or slack water only. Faster water will result in foul hooking fish or not catching anything. An example of a good place to twitch jigs is adjacent to a log jam located in slack water over 6-10ft of water. Coho will hide in those logs and if you dance your jig just right they will come out and whack your jig. This technique doesnt work as well on stale fish. Better for fresh aggressive fish.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:21 am

Oh...that's how I Fish for pinkies.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:28 pm

66kma. Sorry if I come out wrong but I did not understand what your point was at all. The only thing I got was that you have seen snaggers there before. Now addressing the intake you are allowed to fish near the intake not illegal even though it should be. Also you're not required to pinch barb on that river but single point is required. Either way could you clarify what you are trying to get across I had trouble putting your sentences together. Once again not trying to be rude just some clarification and sorry in advance if it came out that way

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:55 pm

twitching for coho is the same as for bass... you tube it and you will see the fish are absolutely insane when twitched in the right spots.....

US JIG FISHERMAN are not snaggers at all, if you've ever done it and done it properly you would see.... I have twitched jigs since i was 5 on the potomac river in maryland for bass... Its the same thing i do for salmon on occasions.... if you would learn that a salmon picks up the jig like its picking up eggs and debris off the bottom you would understand.. Don't confuse jig fisherman as SNAGGERS....

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:08 pm

I see the posts about the samish and have to say NOT ALL FOLKS FISHING THE SAMISH ARE SNAGGERS! If you ever really stop and take a look, hell try it yourself you would know its not the fishery you may think it is... Jig fishing the right way is not
"flossing" at all... its the folks that think everyone is doing it incorrectly or thinking folks are snagging that put out the bad ju ju.... get your facts straight before you make the comments... I have literally accidentally snagged a fish on the side because i was late in setting the hook on a fish that spit out my jig--- and I know the fish held that jig for more then 3 seconds and then spit it back out as it had been soaked for a week in jacks juice....

Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:15 pm

Well I just don't think chinook salmon eat a giant jig buried in the mud, although I fish the samish myself and do very well fishing eggs.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:53 pm

I concur with bobberdown. Salmon don't pick up nonmoving jigs off the muddy floor. Not everyone fishing the samish are snaggers as I fish it from occasion but strictly drift eggs or better yet float them off a bobber. The mistake that they bite those 1oz jigs comes from the guys letting it sit there and the fish run into the line with its mouth as salmon open their mouth to breath giving the impression that they bite. And yes while some are hooked in the mouth it mostly is because the simple fact of what I stated above. Now salmon do bite jigs but when twitched or floated off a bobber. Not attacking anyone here but salmon and other fish not just salmon do not have the ability to look downwards. They can look straight in front of them, sideways or above. Look that up and that might change your opinion about them picking up eggs off the bottom, jigs on the bottom or even debris. The bad juju comes from guys keeping foulhooked fish. Also look up wdfw YouTube video about the samish. They specifically describe the jig technique and even they frown upon it

Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:13 pm

Yes I agree

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:20 am

Bobberdownchromer wrote:Well I just don't think chinook salmon eat a giant jig buried in the mud, although I fish the samish myself and do very well fishing eggs.
I guess that's why fishing B'ham Bay you drag your DR ball on the floor and keep your offering right in the mess. Kings eat off the bottom all the time. That nice red meat comes from eating shrimp that live in the muck on the bottom. They dig 'em right out and gobble 'em right down.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:57 am

Bodofish wrote:
Bobberdownchromer wrote:Well I just don't think chinook salmon eat a giant jig buried in the mud, although I fish the samish myself and do very well fishing eggs.
I guess that's why fishing B'ham Bay you drag your DR ball on the floor and keep your offering right in the mess. Kings eat off the bottom all the time. That nice red meat comes from eating shrimp that live in the muck on the bottom. They dig 'em right out and gobble 'em right down.
Incorrect they go through bait balls that happen to be at the bottom to 20ft off the bottom. They attack those bait balls not digging them out the mud. Salmon are lazy eaters and go after easiest meals. To much energy wasted for digging up one shrimp off bottom. When fishing the salt you are looking for bait balls that concentrate on the bottom not single bait fish or shrimp. Geez stop watching the discovery channel. These aren't dolphins we're speaking of

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:06 pm

riverhunter wrote:
Bodofish wrote:
Incorrect they go through bait balls that happen to be at the bottom to 20ft off the bottom. They attack those bait balls not digging them out the mud. Salmon are lazy eaters and go after easiest meals. To much energy wasted for digging up one shrimp off bottom. When fishing the salt you are looking for bait balls that concentrate on the bottom not single bait fish or shrimp. Geez stop watching the discovery channel. These aren't dolphins we're speaking of
Sorry but, wrong again. I ran fish processing plants in Bellingham for about 16 years and I can tell you without doubt, the kings in the bay are full of the shrimp they eat off the bottom. Their guts are full of them. Sorry if it hurts, just the way it is.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:12 pm

Trust me I fish the salt quite often and we concentrate our efforts on bait balls not just the bottom. If bait is on the bottom then we target the bottom is bait is suspended we target that suspended bait also looking for arches or marks. If we don't see any marks we move to different bait balls until we do at hit those bait balls hard.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:14 pm

I never said they don't eat shrimp. We all know they eat shrimp and get full of them but seriously digging them out of the mud. Not so and why would it hurt that they eat shrimp. Isn't that how they get that deep red color?
Last edited by riverhunter on Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:28 pm

Well in fact they do bite jigs just like bass, which pluck crawfish from the river bottom, just like salmon that eat shrimp from the river beds, are you seriously stating fish can't look down or angle themselves to suck the bottom? That just don't make no sense to me.....

Noodle Caboodle
Petty Officer

Post by Noodle Caboodle » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:52 pm

dj2loud wrote:just like salmon that eat shrimp from the river beds
What kind of shrimp do you speak of? Please tell us more about them since you seem to know so much. Please include where you found out salmon eat shrimp off the bottom of rivers.

Goldrigger1
Petty Officer

Post by Goldrigger1 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:06 pm

Pretty interesting argument. I only fish freshwater so my issue is with salmon eating salmon eggs. My question or statement is this: I've cleaned so many salmon and I've never seen salmon eggs in their stomachs. In fact, I find nothing there. It goes with the long-held statement that salmon don't eat on their spawning run in the rivers.

Question then is- why do they pick up salmon eggs or imitations of same?

I asked this question of 2 guides and they said it is instinct for some salmon to pick up the eggs. They don't eat them, they usually spit them back out or it could be called "move them".

I took the guide's opinions to practice. I envisioned salmon picking up eggs and fairly quickly moving away to spit them out. I realized I would rarely feel much of a strike or I should call it more of a nibble like feeling. I thought about it for quite awhile. Decided to add a bit of yarn above the egg ball so it might stick in their teeth just a little longer to actually give me a chance to set the hook. Well it worked. It improved my hook ups by a little bit and that added up to more successful trips.

Sometimes I invest so much money getting to the Columbia to fish a run. Hover fishing is a good tactic I've used with eggs. I'll gladly add the yarn so I can leave with more fish. Those no-fish return trips are just too frustrating.

thought I'd pass this on and hope it helps someone.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:15 pm

Just like sharks use their two shade bodies ( white under bellies , silvery sides) salmon do yhe same. The upper portion is darker or silvery to hide themselves from prey that are above them and white under bellies to hide from predators below them. Not stating fish cant see downwards but salmon they just are not designed for that. Bass's mouth are designed way different then salmon. Bass have mouths that extend and act more like a vacuum salmon don't their mouth opens up or down only they don't extend to suck or pluck prey off the bottom.
Last edited by riverhunter on Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:16 pm

In my opinion its a territory attack just like lions kill off other lions offspring so that their offspring has a better chance of survival. Salmon simply are doing the same thing just moving or destroying salmon eggs so their offspring has best chance of survival with less competition

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:25 pm

yep.
so their offspring has best chance of survival with less competition.