Snohomish river

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Re: Snohomish river

Post by BARCHASER » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Today I went to the new launching ramp upstream from the town of Snohomish just to take a look. Today the combination of low river and low tide, there is no way I could launch my 18' Seahawk there. The ramp is way too shallow right now. There were 15-20 rigs parked there but all small boats 12-14 feet or so.

Does anyone know the tidal timing difference between Everett and the Snohomish ramp? When it is high tide at Everett how much later is it high tide at the new Snohomish ramp?

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Its usually just a few minutes roughly 30. Depending on how strong the tide is. For example if it goes from 9ft to 0 ft that's a strong tide and usually is only about 15 minutes but if its 9 ft to 4 ft not so strong and can take longer. May suggest launching some place where the tide isnt an issue. For me I hate fishing tidewater with the exception of the samish but that's a bank only fishery

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Post by BARCHASER » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks. I've jigged for Pinks in the tidewater Sno for years and its fun! I'll prob just launch at Everett or Langus and not have to worry about the tide.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:03 am

I absolutely love fishing the tide waters of the snohomish from shore. Fresher, livelier fish full of piss and vinigar and less people!
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:52 pm

jonb wrote:I absolutely love fishing the tide waters of the snohomish from shore. Fresher, livelier fish full of piss and vinigar and less people!
I am the same. Ebey Slough up to about the hwy 9 bridge.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:20 pm

Thats an awesome stretch of water. You never have to worry about the fish going stale or not having enough room either. The fish are migrating fresh and
aggressive and there are miles of river to fish there. I hardly ever see people fish there too. To top it off its easy to fish with mostvwater being betwern 6ft-10ft deep.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:28 pm

Has anyone seen any fish up at Thomas eddy yet? Or upriver in general. I might head there after work tomorrow since its so close to Maltby. I tried near the 9 bridge yesterday night for an hour. Seen schools of fish rolling ever 15 min or so but they seem to be moving up fast. I'm thinking they might be holding upriver?

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:02 pm

fisherman92 wrote:Has anyone seen any fish up at Thomas eddy yet? Or upriver in general. I might head there after work tomorrow since its so close to Maltby. I tried near the 9 bridge yesterday night for an hour. Seen schools of fish rolling ever 15 min or so but they seem to be moving up fast. I'm thinking they might be holding upriver?
shhhh . . . . I don't want anyone standing on my rock [tongue]

tazzy70
Angler

Post by tazzy70 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:04 pm

I watched 2 pinks landed on Aug 20th

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:29 am

jonb wrote:Thats an awesome stretch of water. You never have to worry about the fish going stale or not having enough room either. The fish are migrating fresh and
aggressive and there are miles of river to fish there. I hardly ever see people fish there too. To top it off its easy to fish with mostvwater being betwern 6ft-10ft deep.
I'm the totally opposite. First I hate the muck in that stretch of river, second while the fish are fresh I usually dont get many bites as the fish are on the move and in my experience not as snappy, third the flow of the river is determined by tide which I hate having to rely on tides as I dont have much opportunity to fish whenever the tide is perfect for fishing therefore I stick to waters where I know from experience that the fish tend to hold and I try to fish ealy in the season where plenty of fish still have some scales and chrome to them.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:41 pm

I hear you. I also fish above the tide and tribs. (sky) and know exactly how it is, some days it can be better. But once you fish enough in the tidal stretch to exactly understand its nuances and timings you will be more successful there. It does require a bit more "foot hours" to achieve success. I can easily get 10-30 fish days in the slough without any problem getting fish to bite. Twitching jigs or flies are absolutely key here. I won't solely fish the slough (or any estuary for that matter), but rather it is just another option in the arsenal of options i have rather than just limiting myself to only nontidal fishing. But i have no problem with others thinking otherwise, afterall this is the exact reason why a person can find solitude catching dozen+ days on pinks during peak season on a saturday. All you need to do is try really hard, and have some discipline, the juice is worth the squeeze.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:00 pm

My friend and I went up there yesterday, just below the bridge off of Lowell Rd. I had 2 hard bites but both jumped off. We saw fish landed by guys in a boat. The bad news was, I kicked over a beehive on the trail and got stung upwards of a dozen times. Today I have been sick off and on and staying home. Back at it in a few days
Fisken Morder!!!

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:52 am

meandermeadows wrote: The bad news was, I kicked over a beehive on the trail and got stung upwards of a dozen times.
I learned long ago to always keep a penny on me. Good luck? Not so much, something about holding a penny against a bee sting works wonders. I don't know what good it would do at this point if any?

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:05 am

I was on the sno & sky in several spots yesterday, saw lots of fish rolling. Unfortunately they seemed fairly stale and didn't see any hookups. I was twiching a marabou jig with no hits. I decided to switch up to a float and small jig (1/16 and 1/32 oz jigs under a float has always been the ticket for me when the pinks aren't aggressive). Got up to the truck and saw I forgot my lil jig box. Tried a couple stores to buy a couple jigs but couldn't find any. So I ended up packing it in. Kinda frustrating seeing all the fish and knowing I forgot what I needed to get bit lol.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:03 pm

spokey9 wrote:I was on the sno & sky in several spots yesterday, saw lots of fish rolling. Unfortunately they seemed fairly stale and didn't see any hookups. I was twiching a marabou jig with no hits. I decided to switch up to a float and small jig (1/16 and 1/32 oz jigs under a float has always been the ticket for me when the pinks aren't aggressive). Got up to the truck and saw I forgot my lil jig box. Tried a couple stores to buy a couple jigs but couldn't find any. So I ended up packing it in. Kinda frustrating seeing all the fish and knowing I forgot what I needed to get bit lol.

Are those marabou jigs that you fish under a float? Or the hootchie squid?

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:03 am

Usually I tied rabbit up on my tiny jigs, but I usually have some marabou tied up in my box too.. I've used 2" pink or pink and white crappie tubes smothered in shrimp smelly jelly with success as well when they were a bit more "bitey". The hoochies small enough for those jigs cost more than material s or crappie tubes and I haven't caught near as many fish in the past running them under a float as fur, feathers, or tubes so I quit using them back '13.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:00 pm

For pinks, marabou jigs and pink curly tail (3" soft plastic grubs) are my go-to's. 1/4 oz is ideal, occassionally I'll go with 3/8ths if the water is really deep and moving quickly. For coho its 3/8ths rabbit pink head purple body, blue and blue or black and purple.