Steelhead Hook regulations

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
alhazayin
Petty Officer

Steelhead Hook regulations

Post by alhazayin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:05 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but are barbless hooks required on the skykomish? Also are multiple hooks per line allowed? As in a dropper rig?I've gotten so used to barbless, single hook regs for saltwater salmon that I don't feel sure even though I read the pamphlet and don't see any special rules.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Steelhead Hook regulations

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:43 pm

Just look carefully at the ‘Section’ of the Skykomish that you want to fish. Remember, the regs. are for ‘Special rules only’
If it is barbless, that will be stated as ‘Selective gear rules’. Then you will have your answer.

As far as # of hooks, again, you would refer to the general rules section to see what the ‘Standard’ # of hooks is, and then refer to your section of the Sky rules to see if they make a ‘Special rules’ change on hook #.

If there is none of these special rules, then everything is back to the general rules page.
(That being said, don’t forget to sign up for the ‘Emergency rules’ email alerts from the WDFW, LOL.... yeah, it sounds like a freakin 3 ring circus, but generally speaking the emergency rules are sudden closures, or extensions of seasons on various waters.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:28 pm

I'm not sure what the regs say down there in washington anymore but to purposely target steelhead with barbed hooks is blasphemy and terribly unethical. You really should only use barbless hooks regardless of what the minimum requirement is. I prefer owner no escape hooks they come barbless straight out of the packaging and as the name implies landing ratio remains good despite not having a barb. The purpose is barbless hooks cause alot less damage particularly when hook placement is on the tongue or in other sensative areas. You have to remember wild steehead are a finite resource that is very limited and needs to be treated delicately. Even if you intend to fish for hatchery fish you probably will still run into native steel. And if you do catch one please do not remove the fish entirely from the water, and quickly release it to insure it survives.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:16 pm

Barbless hooks are rarely required on any western Washington river or stream (though there is a few exceptions) skykomish doesn't require Barbless hooks, and during certain periods of the season 2 hooks is allowed (usually when the salmon are not running) When allowed I usually run a float and jig setup with a bead dropper that way I am fishing 2 techniques at once. If for some reason they don't want the jig but a bead instead or vice versa i can double my chances. Personally I believe its up to the individual whether he goes Barbless or not as long as he is following the regs

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:54 pm

After Nov. 30, the Sky doesn’t have any regulations against barbed hooks or single point hooks. In fact, there is no regulation against barbed hooks on the Sky in general. The Snoqualmie has a barbless requirement (selective gear rules) up until Nov. 30. Therefore, after that date, you can use a dropper if you like. Although barbless hooks are recommended for catch and release and when fishing in an area where protected fish are abundant, this time of year you’ll rarely encounter a wild Steelhead on the Sky and the salmon runs are pretty much over, so if you’re new to fishing for Steelhead, then don’t feel guilty about using a barbed hook to increase your chances of landing the fish. The majority of the fish in the river at this moment are hatchery fish. Not to say the possibility isn’t there, but it’s minimal. Additionally most of the commercially produced jigs and setups incorporate barbed hooks. Most of us out there use barbed hooks for winter Steel in our PS rivers because the rivers close before the bulk (whatever that may be) of the native population returns in March.
Don’t overthink it. Go out and see what the other guys on the bank are using. You’ll mostly see a 1/16-1/8th oz jig under a sliding float (3/8oz to 3/4oz). Some will fish beads under the float rigged slightly different or, as mentioned earlier, a jig with a bead dropper. I tend to just run one or the other as too much gear can become a nuisance. You can also drift fish with bead, corky, or bait, or cast spoons and spinners. I tend to carry two rods, one with a float/jig and one for spoons/spinners.

alhazayin
Petty Officer

Post by alhazayin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Thanks!

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Bulls and juvenile/resident fish can be mamed year round by barbs. Barbs shouldn't be used in rivers ever, at any point. Particularly while steel are running. It's blasphemy. It's not the law there to pinch barbs (it is the law here in canada), but it is ethical. There is absolutely no need for barbs. I land 6/7 fish i hook on barbless hooks and have much less mamings because of the lack of barb. It is unneeded harm to fish. Barbaric even. Should be illegal [-X
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.