Stripers on the Columbia?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Stripers on the Columbia?

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Looking at a map of Striped bass native and planted range, I see a section of the Columbia river shaded in. I didn't know there were any stripers in that area. Is this true or B.S. If true how good is the fishing for them?

BARCHASER
Warrant Officer

Re: Stripers on the Columbia?

Post by BARCHASER » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Not that I know of. I was born/raised in Oregon and still fish there couple times a year. I hang out on Ifish which is an OR fishing website. In the 70's, 80's and early 90's I owned property near Tillamook Bay and fished there a lot. I never saw or even heard of a Striper..

As far as I know, since the 60's Stripers never moved north from the southern coast; Coos Bay, Umpqua Bay etc. Certainly hasnt been any talk about it. Might be a stray here and there but not common.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:26 pm

According to the googles the odd striper does make it into the columbia, there isn't an established run of them, just the odd one that shows up in the kill nets.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

Fish-N-Fool
Captain

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:40 pm

Tnx, that's kind of what I figured that it was BS, I really want to catch one as it's one of the main fish on my "Bucket list". It's a long drive to the delta to catch one, but I think I'm going to do it this year.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:54 pm

Caught many a striper's, just never in WA... Chesapeake Bay in Maryland has some MONSTERS! We used to catch them 30 and 40 lb in the Potomac River ...... Largest on record in MD

Striped Bass 67 lbs., 8 oz Devin Nolan 5/13/1995 Bloody Point

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:51 am

http://www.critfc.org/blog/2013/12/05/s ... bia-river/

Google brings up a few reports about stripers in the Columbia. Most seem to be about the same fish. A 52 pounder. Back in 2013