New to summer steelhead- need advice

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
alhazayin
Petty Officer

New to summer steelhead- need advice

Post by alhazayin » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:54 pm

I'm a young angler looking to do some fishing on the Skykomish, Skagit, or Snohomish tomorrow. I've never really done any summer steelhead fishing before, and any general advice, lures to try, spots to go, or info on the current fishing conditions would be appreciated. Also, I've heard that there are Chinook in these systems now. I'm fishing from the bank, but any advice on catching these brutes would be appreciated as well. I'll fish for anything that's there!

The closer to I-5, the better in terms of recommended spots. (I'll be coming from a soccer game in Mt. Vernon).

Thanks!!

alhazayin
Petty Officer

Re: New to summer steelhead- need advice

Post by alhazayin » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Also, any good scents or colors to use?

steelhead-hunter
Angler

Re: New to summer steelhead- need advice

Post by steelhead-hunter » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:31 pm

I've went only once to the Skykomish but I'm planning to go again. The last time I went the water was super clear and the people catching fish were using either jigs (1/8 oz) or beads at the end of a simple steelhead float setup. I used eggs cured with Borox and all I caught were small Rainbows. Finding them is hard but Reiter Ponds seems to be a good bet if you can tolerate a large number of people fishing next to you, I saw a few caught there. You'll also need to bring waders.