River Fishing Line

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Grayson Everett
Angler

River Fishing Line

Post by Grayson Everett » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:31 pm

I am planning on using my 6'6" Medium spinning rod and 6' ML spinning rod for more river fishing in NY. I want to spool the reels with 6 lb test but should I spool it with fluro or mono? I would consider 10 or 15 lb braid to fluro or mono but I don't know how to tie the knots and sometimes using a barrel swivel can be a pain.

My goal would be to catch smallies but no idea if that's even realistic in my area so would be happy to use mostly the ML rod and catch any species I can in the rivers. Thanks for the help!
Grayson Everett

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Re: River Fishing Line

Post by kodacachers » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:11 pm

Hi Grayson,
Welcome! I don't know anything about NY fishing, but I think spooling with fluorocarbon would be a bit of waste of money and would go with mono or braid. I prefer braid for almost all applications, except when you need the extra stretch of mono, like the soft-mouthed kokanee we have here in WA. Tying braid just takes some research and practice--you'll only need three knots: Braid to spool (unless you are using mono backing), braid to swivel, or braid to mono if you don't want to use the swivel (I use the FG knot for this).

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:14 pm

Hi Grayson, 2nd kodacachers reco and feedback. Generally speaking my river setups are braid to mono bumper to either a mono or fluoro leader depending on water clarity. On braid I use two main knots, double uni to attach bumper and palomar for swivels. Neither is overly difficult with a little practice. Palomar is the basis of the drop shot knot for hooks. Would definitely learn that if you plan to target bass.
I just scale up or down based on the fishery/intended target species but use the above basic setup all the time.
Good luck, hope you get into them!
Lived in upstate NY for a few years, fond memories fishing there with my Dad. Get after those pickerel if you get a chance, fun fighting and good eating fish.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:27 am

Maxima ultra green or pline cxx xtra strong are both very abrasion resistant and are very good mono for river fishing.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.