Wanapum Dam

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
gpc
Admiral

Wanapum Dam

Post by gpc » Wed May 16, 2007 1:01 pm

Anybody ever fish the Wanapum damn or surronding columbia. What kind of fish? Need a boat or is there bank access. I know there is whitefish and walleye with some perch and full of carp. I have a buddy who has property in Mattaw and curious if the Columbia is worth it or should we stick to Lenice and yhe other 2 selective gear lakes

littleriver
Commander

RE:Wanapum Dam

Post by littleriver » Tue May 22, 2007 8:19 pm

I've fished wanapum reservoir extensively and Priest Rapids reservoir once or twice...

My score in wanapum is literally hundreds and hundreds of squawfish (now called Norther Pike Minnows or NPM's) and one big sucker...... there are probably some walleye here and there are rumors of smallmouth bass here but it's tough to get your lures past the abundant NPM's...

In priest rapids reservoir I've picked up a few carp near the inlet where crab comes in..... however, I've read some very reliable reports over the years of nice walleye in this reservoir and would tend to say that the reason I wasn't catching them was because I didn't know what I was doing, not because they weren't there...

bottom line though, If it were me I would stick to lenice, nunnally, stan coffin, potholes, and the rest, or maybe just run up to Rufus Woods or Roosevelt........

not sure why they can't do to Wanapum what they did to roosevelt but apparently fishing is pretty good on this northernmost Columbia River reservoir...
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.