Bass Pro Shops Exploring Purchase Of Cabela's

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Don Wittenberger
Captain

Bass Pro Shops Exploring Purchase Of Cabela's

Post by Don Wittenberger » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:57 pm

Bass Pro Shops, a privately-held outdoor retailer majority-owned by founder Johnny Morris, is moving to buy Cabela's, a publicly-traded outdoor retailer founded by members of the Cabela family. Cabela's stock, which has fallen sharply this year, jumped last week on the news. BPS is the larger company; although Cabela's has more stores (77 vs. 70), BPS's annual sales ($4.3 billion) dwarf those of Cabela's ($1.2 billion). BPS also is North America's largest boat manufacturer. Cabela's has stores all over the U.S. (and several in Canada), but BPS has only 2 locations in the western U.S., including one in Tacoma. About a third of the two companies' store locations overlap each other. Both have large mail order operations.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Bass Pro Shops Exploring Purchase Of Cabela's

Post by Amx » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:15 pm

I hope they don't screw up Cabela's. I buy most of my stuff from Cabela's these days. They seem to have more and better stuff, better selection, and better prices. At least on their web site anyway, never been to a store.
Tom.

Interests: living

Don Wittenberger
Captain

Post by Don Wittenberger » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Same here, but this wheeling-dealing by billionaires is above my pay grade.

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:56 am

Maybe if BPS makes the deal, they can hire some employees for the fishing department at the Post Falls store that actually know something about fishing. It amazes me how often I'm looking for something and they have no idea what I'm talking about. It's almost as bad as the new Sportsman's warehouse in Spokane.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:39 am

Both companies suck. I buy gear from Cabelas when on sale as they are the only player in town since they bought Wholesale sports. Cabelas has horrible customer service and a very poor selection in the store.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:59 am

i've expirienced some horrible customer service at several cabela's store, both in and out of this state. the one in smokey point is the worst imo. every year when the salmon start showing i hear the fishing dept employees help people to gear for drift fishing with a suggested 8-12ft leader and not to be shy about swinging if your gear is near fish. i made my last purchase from them back in june and wont give cabelas any more of my business.

i havent been to the bps in tacoma yet, but i've been to several of their stores out of state. the prices are about the same, but the customer service was pretty good at bps. even when i hunting for a noodle rod down south. the clerks didnt really know what i was looking for, but took the time search their inventory and showing me a couple rods with similar specs. personally it seems bps puts a bit more focus on cust service. i hope that cabelas gets bought by bps.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:44 am

I cant tell you how many times I have tried to buy waders at cabelas and they wont help you in that area, no one is assigned to it. There are dorks all over the store trying to get you to sign up for a credit card, but no one to help in footwear. The other big issue is I tried to buy a rain jacket, online there about forty to chose from, in the store there are only four and those are the super hi end one so you cant try anything on before you buy it. I asked them what I was supposed to do buy three and take the other two back and they said yes. cabelas thinks nothing about their poor quality and lack selection and CS. They think you should be in their return line every6 time you go there. these guys are just another Chinese junk store. I could go on and on with my bad experiences there....