Excellent source for Fluoro leaders for Toothy Critters

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dutchman2858
Commander

Excellent source for Fluoro leaders for Toothy Critters

Post by dutchman2858 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Just going to toss this out there. I just ordered some fluorocarbon leaders from a fellow on eBay and they are excellent. I ordered 14" leaders in 100# test and 130# test. He can make any length in a wide variety of pound tests. The leaders come complete with ball bearing swivels on both ends: barrel on one end and snap swivel on the other. If you're in the market they are definitely worth checking out. Here's the listing for one style: 3 MUSKIE (BIG GAME FISH) LEADERS CHOICE 80lb TEST 14" LONG 100% FLUOROCARBON

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Re: Excellent source for Fluoro leaders for Toothy Critters

Post by harleypiker » Tue May 30, 2017 10:38 pm

watch out for those ball bearing swivels. the hole drilled thru the pin has normally very thin side walls and I quit using them when a couple broke out. Also be sure the split rings are soldered twice. I would get at least 18 inch leaders if they are available. A nice muskie is at least 18 inches girth. one roll takes up that leader.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Tue May 30, 2017 11:09 pm

just got these ball bearing swivels today from a chinese ebay seller, I'm shocked at how nice they are.. look strong to me! ordered two sizes, with duo lock snaps/ soldered jump rings =$1.50 for ea 10 pc pack free shipping , took two weeks though.

The 100 pc packs of duo lock snaps for 3 bucks haven't shown up yet.
Attachments
fine china.jpg
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:59 am

Harleypiker: Crap--I appreciate the info about leader length. I'll try the 14" since I have them, but next time will go 18". FYI, the ones mentioned at the beginning of the thread are made by a fellow in the Good Ol' USA!

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Wed May 31, 2017 6:00 am

I should have said, "Assembled by a fellow in the USA," I don't know where his components come from...

harleypiker
Warrant Officer

Post by harleypiker » Wed May 31, 2017 6:15 am

Your excellent pic is centered on the exact spot of weakness I referred to. the bigger sizes have a little more metal around the hole and will hopefully work out ok for you. I really like the ball bearing swivels also except for that weak spot. That halibut in your I.D. pic would probably be a good test for them!