Kokanee in Rock lake.

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
CoyoteCrazy
Petty Officer

Kokanee in Rock lake.

Post by CoyoteCrazy » Wed May 27, 2015 8:44 pm

I am looking for information, names and or ideas about getting fish and game to put Kokanee in Rock lake. Even though Rock is supposedly a warm water lake, the depth and formation of the lake seem ideal for Kokanee. I know when I first joined this sight there was one or 2 reports of guys landing a Koke out there, but nothing since.
Is there a person or committee that chooses what fish can and will be stocked where? I figure if they can dumped steelhead in to a shallow lake like Sprague which seems marginal at best, they have the ability to put atleast some tripod Kokes into Rock. If you have fished Hayden lake at all for Kokanee, then you have seen/experienced how well those fish have done in a much smaller body of water, and Rock seems to be just as rich nutrient wise as Hayden if not more so.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Tight lines.

high country
Petty Officer

Re: Kokanee in Rock lake.

Post by high country » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:18 pm

I would think rock would actually do much better than hayden as hayden has 100's of fishermen hit it on any day whereas rock may have 100 in a busy week.

T-Bone
Petty Officer

Post by T-Bone » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:58 pm

FYI - Like Sprague Lake, steelhead have been stocked in Rock Lake and should provide some nice results in 2016. They seem to be growing at a fairly quick rate already.

For your kokanee answer, I would contact the WDFW fishery biologist at the Region One Office.

wannabhntr
Angler

Post by wannabhntr » Sun May 22, 2016 3:47 pm

I'm a bass guy so I may be wrong, but I think my daughter caught a kokanee at rock lake today. Silver body blue back. Maybe a rainbow but the coloring seemed wrong. I know this is an old thread and I apologize but it's the only thing I could find online for kokanee in rock lake.

T-Bone
Petty Officer

Post by T-Bone » Mon May 23, 2016 6:34 am

Kokanee are not only silvery, but also have a deeply forked tail with points at the end; check the Latest Reports with pictures from Lake Roosevelt. The steelhead stocked in Rock Lake can be very silvery as well; however, the tail is a dead giveaway; not deeply forked and the tail ends are more rounded.

Not saying kokanee are not present in Rock Lake, but as I previously posted, the WDFW Region One Office would have the answer.