Cold April Kokanee?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Kisutch
Angler

Cold April Kokanee?

Post by Kisutch » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:54 pm

I've got the spring time fishing itch and Lake Samish has been letting me down (still cold). I'd really like to get a few Kokanee on the grill this weekend and moreover would really like to take my girlfriend out to have a good time fishing. We are from Bellingham, but are thinking of camping anyway, so really the whole state is our oyster this weekend. If you could hit any Washington Kokanee Lake this weekend which one would you head to? Merwin? Chelan?

I'm not looking for any trophies, just a good time catching. Thanks for your help!

JoshH
Lieutenant

Re: Cold April Kokanee?

Post by JoshH » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:06 pm

Depends on what your boat is like. Chelan if your boat is safe enough to handle possible heavy chop/wind. It can be like glass there then the wind can really pick up and howl, blowing smaller boats off of the water. Also need to be able to get down deep right now. Reading of folks catching between 100 - 150ft on the wire. If you can fit that criteria, Chelan, from most reports, is producing. Samish and Cavanaugh I believe are two of the last lakes that turn on. Both always seem to take a few weeks more to warm up. Stevens is getting close enough to hitting the magic temp that I may head out there this weekend.