Hook size?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Hook size?

Post by Salmon King » Thu May 04, 2017 7:36 pm

He guys....

I suppose this COULD be a loaded question but since I'm a newbie at Kokanee fishing...
I need to go buy some hooks and don't know the best size or style. All I know is they need to be red...
I also need to pick up some beads and snap swivels (does it matter if they are shiny or black?).

A little help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JoshH
Lieutenant

Re: Hook size?

Post by JoshH » Fri May 05, 2017 3:30 pm

I like size 4 Gami drop shots. Beads it depends on what its paired with. Typical colors are pinks, purples, oranges, greens. Some cases chrome.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri May 05, 2017 6:33 pm

If I'm tying any tandem rig for kokanee or trout, I like to use size 4 Matzuo Sickle octopus style hooks. You can get them in red chrome or black chrome. I'll drop down to size 6 if the fish are running small. Also, spend some money on good swivels. I like to make sure the last swivel to the lure/leader is a ball bearing swivel as those little buggers will really spin and roll when you get them close to the boat.

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Fri May 05, 2017 11:10 pm

Thank you sir...
Appreciate it.