Big changes coming in regards to trout and kokanee fishing on Washington State lakes

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
JoshH
Lieutenant

Big changes coming in regards to trout and kokanee fishing on Washington State lakes

Post by JoshH » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:10 pm

The proposed rule changes look like they are going into effect July 1st when the new pamphlet comes out. 2 changes that stood out to me: 1) Trout and Kokanee limits on almost all lakes will now be separate, and almost all lakes will have a 10 kokanee limit. 2) Chumming on lakes that allowed it looks like this will no longer be the case.

Can be found here https://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings ... n1818.html under sport fishing rules simplification

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Big changes coming in regards to trout and kokanee fishing on Washington State lakes

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:56 am

thanks for the link. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

hewesfisher
Admiral

Re: Big changes coming in regards to trout and kokanee fishing on Washington State lakes

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:05 am

I read the report shortly after it was published but what I haven't found yet how the commission acted on staff recommendations. Tried to find such a report on WDFW's site just last week but without success.

While the effort to simplify the statewide rules makes sense, and I applaud the effort, my belief is there will still be pages and pages and pages of special rules for lakes, ponds, streams, and rivers. I quit reading statewide rules years ago because almost every body of water we fish is listed in the special rules section with its own unique rules. The only time I bother with statewide rules is if we fish a lake NOT listed in the special rules section and that's a very rare condition in Eastern WA.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:24 am

Mike Carey wrote:thanks for the link. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
I love the separate limits, bt I am a little concerned with a few Western Wa. lakes that may receive some additional pressure, and frankly don't receive the stocking numbers of kokanee to possibly support increased pressure with increased limits. Hopefully they have the ability to adjust stocking. The bonus is it could possibly relieve some pressure off of those lakes that do have higher limits

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:56 pm

i'm kinda dissapointed the chumming rule was nixed, i'd like to chum when i'm chasing catfish and perch. cottage cheese and bran is amazing for it :-"
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:23 pm

You can look at the individual lake to see if chumming will no longer be allowed. I just checked those lakes I fish and am familiar with, Goodwin, Steven's, and Cavanaugh, where chumming was allowed, but now will no longer be. As I was skipping by other lakes though it sure looked like chumming as a whole will no longer be allowed.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 pm

The new Regs are out for July 1st 2018 through June 30th 2019. Kokanee limits for the most part have changed to 10 statewide and you Kokanee limit is separate almost everywhere from your trout limit. I think this is both good and bad. Good in that it should spread out the fishing pressure some lakes receive, bad in the fact that there are some lakes that I don't think can stay viable with a 10 fish limit. There are a few exceptions which you can find in the special rules section. Lakes like American kept the 5 total combined trout/kokanee limit.

Also, chumming did stay for most lakes, they just didn't expand it.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01998/wdfw01998.pdf

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:08 am

Timely post, I was laying in bed last night reading the new regulations and noticed the change. I had planned to post the information this morning.

For our local northenders the following lakes now have a 10 fish Kokanee limit:

Cavanaugh
Roesiger
Sammish
Whatcom

As always check and double check the current WDFW regulations before you hit the water.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:12 am

does make it a little easier...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".