Anyone caught experienced with Tiger Trout (not Tiger Muskie)

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Anyone caught experienced with Tiger Trout (not Tiger Muskie)

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:51 am

I am headed over to Bufallo lake, on the Colville Res. next weekend. We will also be hitting a few lakes off the Res. near Loomis.
Some of these have been planted with Tiger trout, as far back as 2003-04.
Have any of you spent time targeting these fish? Tiger trout are a cross between a Brown and a Brooke trout. Supposed to be ‘Voracious predators, 15-16”, with a few up to 20”

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Re: Anyone caught experienced with Tiger Trout (not Tiger Muskie)

Post by hewesbob » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:31 am

About 15 years ago WFG planted tiger trout in Downs Lake, they were a great fighter and good table fare but for what ever reason they didn't survive past the first year. I recently heard a rumor that Buffalo Lake was in the process of being rehabilitated, I can't seem to get that confirmed or denied. One person with the tribe told me yes they had WFG do the rehab but then I asked WFG and they say that if it was in the process of rehab they had nothing to do with it. We have fished Buffalo several time the past couple years and caught some dandy size rainbow and kokanee but most were heavily invested with lice. I will be looking forward to your report. Good Luck and Stay Safe.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:30 am

Hewesbob, Thanks for the heads-up. I spoke with tribal fish peeps.
They said they do not ‘Rehab’ lakes like as in poison off, etc. they would shock and pick out unwanted species.
She also confirmed that they dropped in 2500, 2.5-3.0 lb trout last week. Again, confirmed she is not talking like how the WDFW does it, when they say 2.5 fish per lb.
This is likely net pens/Rufus big boy stock. :cheers:

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:44 am

please post how the launch is , we would like to try it , but we have a 32 ft motorhome, with a 17 ft boat. Have wanted to try the lake, but heard entrance and camping area was better suited to pickup and camper.....thanks....

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Wed May 02, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi Kieth, as long as the water level is down you shouldn't have any problem launching with your motorhome. When you head down the road to the launch just bear to the right and that will take you the proper way around the circle, then there is plenty of room to maneuver while backing into the water. There is plenty of room to park just above the launch so you can take a look before you launch. Also google map has a great satellite view. We may head up there in a couple days so I will let you know how we do.

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:55 pm

Thanks BOB, would like to know as it looks like a good place to relax for a few days........

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer
Location: Working on my stress level, So I'm fishing someplace

Post by ridgeratt » Sun May 06, 2018 8:01 am

They planted them in Loon Lake over here also. This last Friday my son and a buddy where fishing it and he caught a 9 lber. They where chasing the bass around the docks and it made a swipe at a bait. He gave it back to him and Wham he was fishing. Said it hit like a freight train and after that pretty much nothing. Fish just gave up and got led to the boat.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Sun May 06, 2018 9:26 am

We fished Buffalo Lake yesterday 5-5-18, fishing was slow for us, we ended the day with 4 rainbow in the 2-2 1/2 pound class and two 10" kokanee. We missed some bites and lost a few trout , one was at least 5 pounds. The kokanee had a few lice behind the fins. We were fishing the top 15 ft. of water and trying several different baits, the ones that seemed to get the most hits were the Kokabow watermelon dodger followed by the tallon spinner baited with a worm. The other was my standard "go to" when fishing is slow that's my Oldgoat lures. The first fish to hit was on a pink colored OG-1 behind a Kokabow dodger and later in the day we had a sky cover and a very slight wind chop, I put on a perch color OG-1 without a dodger. After putting out an 80' setback and set the downrigger at 13' it was an instant hit, a 2 1/2 pounder. This is a very fun lake to fish because you are almost always alone and not dodging other boats. I don't think there were 10 other boats on the lake at the same time all day and it was a Saturday. The down side of fishing Buffalo are the lice on the fish. We have fished this lake several times and it seems that the warmer the water gets the worse the lice get, even on the trout. The lake level is high right now so the circular road at the launch is underwater. You can still launch there but you have to back down the road and around a corner. The dock is about 40' from the shore line. We launched at the resort just because of my disability I need a dock. The resort costs $7 and is very tight to maneuver but it is possible. When we got back to to dock I overheard a couple guys talking about their nonstop action all afternoon bass fishing the shorelines. We also marked several schools of kokanee and bait balls down around 75' to 90' but because of the lice on kokanee we were not targeting them.