Keep trolling or out in neutral when you hook up?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Stikman
Petty Officer

Keep trolling or out in neutral when you hook up?

Post by Stikman » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:59 am

Just wondering how many of you while trolling for trout and get a hook-up, do you put the kicker in neutral or keep trolling?

jd39
Commander

Re: Keep trolling or out in neutral when you hook up?

Post by jd39 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:36 pm

Trout I keep trolling, usually have a 2nd line down that I want to keep fishing. Trout are typically easy to control and keep away from the prop and 2nd line, have had a few s shows, but nothing major.
Kokanee will sometimes put in neutral just to be extra careful with their soft mouths while reeling in. Especially on slower days or if a bigger fish, not sure if it really helps but I do it anyway.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:45 am

Depends on the situation....if I'm running one rod I'll usually stop and play the fish for fun....if two rods running, then keep trolling, maybe slow down, but decreases the chances of hanging up the other rod....IF I've got kids in the boat I might stop and pull in the second rod, so the kid can play the fish and totally enjoy it.

JD15SS
Angler

Post by JD15SS » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:04 am

I keep trolling. Keeps better tension on the line when fighting the fish and keeps your other setup fishing. Sometimes I do slow down a bit when fighting the fish (0.8-1.0).

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:11 pm

Didn't notice the double post, relied to other one. I troll with 4 lines so kicker never comes out of gear, just goes to idle on hookup.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount