Lakes with current alge blooms?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
GeryG
Warrant Officer

Lakes with current alge blooms?

Post by GeryG » Wed May 28, 2008 4:01 pm

Any one who fishes, feel free to add lakes with current
alge blooms, so we know what lakes are in bloom.

:alien:
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

RE:Lakes with current alge blooms?

Post by kutthroatkilla » Wed May 28, 2008 4:40 pm

GeryG wrote:
Any one who fishes, feel free to add lakes with current alge blooms, so we know what lakes are in bloom.

Alice (pretty nasty) & Pine (parts of Pine)
KTK
Get with the Fast Money Bros

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Wed May 28, 2008 5:04 pm

This is Cranberry Lake (Island County/Deception Pass State Park) as of last week (5-22 IIRC).
I was out there the week before and it wasn't half as bad....

I'll assume this qualitifies, though I'm no algae expert. I do know there are various types of algae.
It's a green growth of some sort taking up as much of the water column I can see. Looks a lot like the stuff that developes in my tropical tanks....

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Wed May 28, 2008 5:10 pm

:thumbdown Went to bay lake this am yep she blooms.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 28, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu May 29, 2008 8:21 am

I was also gonna say Cranberry Lake but Bscman beat me to it. Definitely an algae bloom.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Thu May 29, 2008 9:55 pm

From what I've observed, any lake that is surrounded by houses suffers from excess algae. The homeowners use too much fertilizer on their yards and all of that phosphorous ends up in the water -- which causes big-time algae growth.

There are only a couple of lakes in my area that I can fish using bottom-bouncing lures without having to pick green stuff off my lures after every cast. #-o
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Fri May 30, 2008 12:25 am

Dave wrote:I was also gonna say Cranberry Lake but Bscman beat me to it. Definitely an algae bloom.
Cran for sure. I've found when an ecosystem experiences an increase in nutrients, primary producers reap the benefits first. In aquatic ecosystems, species such as algae experience a population increase. Algae blooms limit the sunlight available to bottom-dwelling organisms and cause wide swings in the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water. Oxygen is required by all respiring plants and animals and it is replenished in daylight by photosynthesizing plants and algae. When dissolved oxygen levels decline to hypoxic levels, fish and other marine animals suffocate. Toxicity of algae blooms...some algae blooms are toxic to plants, animals and humans - they would be toxic in my book. In extreme cases, dire conditions ensue]
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 30, 2008 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

chironomid_guy
Petty Officer

Post by chironomid_guy » Fri May 30, 2008 8:26 am

Bscman......... that looks like a damsel fly larvae in the center of that photo............... Kewel.
The Chironomid Guy

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Fri May 30, 2008 8:28 am

chironomid_guy wrote:Bscman......... that looks like a damsel fly larvae in the center of that photo............... Kewel.
I was hoping someone would chime in and name that little critter....it was the reason I took the picture in the first place. I was having a hard time getting the macro to focus, though.

Thanks!

joshswrench
Petty Officer

Post by joshswrench » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:32 pm

Harts lake in pierce is blooming big time!
Tight lines, JG

FlyFish4ever
Angler

Post by FlyFish4ever » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:19 am

I believe that Teal lake up in Jefferson county is still blooming

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:54 am

I made this post a "sticky" so it isn't buried in past posts. Great idea Gery.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:51 am

June 14th, 2008; Coffeepot, looked like pea soup. Personally, I have never seen this lake this bad, and it has no farm land, no houses, no outside source of nutrients.

Sometimes we place blame when none is deserved. Lowland lakes are often eutrophic, and than means they will bloom.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

samm3
Angler

Post by samm3 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:33 pm

Got a warning that the Southern part of american lake is starting to bloom. Have not witnessed it myself.

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:02 pm

kutthroatkilla wrote: Cran for sure. I've found when an ecosystem experiences an increase in nutrients, primary producers reap the benefits first. In aquatic ecosystems, species such as algae experience a population increase. Algae blooms limit the sunlight available to bottom-dwelling organisms and cause wide swings in the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water. Oxygen is required by all respiring plants and animals and it is replenished in daylight by photosynthesizing plants and algae. When dissolved oxygen levels decline to hypoxic levels, fish and other marine animals suffocate. Toxicity of algae blooms...some algae blooms are toxic to plants, animals and humans - they would be toxic in my book. In extreme cases, dire conditions ensue]

Not to thread-jack here, but I don't think that the algea we're talking about here is a threat to humans and animals. In fact, there's a wikepedia article on the subject that says you'd have to consume the bacteria in order for it to cause any bad effects. So don't freak out about the killer algea blooms, and watch for red tide warnings if you're eating shellfish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eutrophication

Directly from the above link:

"Decreased biodiversity
When an ecosystem experiences an increase in nutrients, primary producers reap the benefits first. In aquatic ecosystems, species such as algae experience a population increase (called an algal bloom). Algal blooms limit the sunlight available to bottom-dwelling organisms and cause wide swings in the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water. Oxygen is required by all respiring plants and animals and it is replenished in daylight by photosynthesizing plants and algae. Under eutrophic conditions, dissolved oxygen greatly increases during the day, but is greatly reduced after dark by the respiring algae and by microorganisms that feed on the increasing mass of dead algae. When dissolved oxygen levels decline to hypoxic levels, fish and other marine animals suffocate. As a result, creatures such as fish, shrimp, and especially immobile bottom dwellers die off.[11] In extreme cases, anaerobic conditions ensue, promoting growth of bacteria such as Clostridium botulinum that produces toxins deadly to birds and mammals. Zones where this occurs are known as dead zones."
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:52 pm

Medical Lake was very clear today.

lori
Petty Officer

Post by lori » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:52 pm

We are headed to limerick lake July12th hows the alge blom out there right now , does anyone out there know
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Stephen Wright

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

The better part of one’s life consists of his friendships. Author: Abraham Lincoln

-----------* >*)((((((><

Lori and the Suicide Duck II

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:12 pm

offut lake. I was there 10/18- still caught fish though.
"One more......."

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:45 pm

lacamas is allways in bloom.

:viking:
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:15 pm

Lake Ballinger is a bloomin" but the fish are still biting. There was a floater a couple of days ago so I left when the police arrived. When I came back the next day I noticed that the lake was just an overall greeny color. I expect the bloom to coagulate in the next week or so. Have a great weekend, Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.