Which Trout Species Reproduce Well in our Alpine Lakes?

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
cwbraue
Petty Officer

Which Trout Species Reproduce Well in our Alpine Lakes?

Post by cwbraue » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:03 am

So I have been thinking about this recently and threw together a list from my reading and experience. I couldn't find any info on whether Brown trout are able to reproduce in lakes like Cooper and Wenatchee (or is it Fish lake?), and I have never heard of Goldens spawning in WA, so I put them low on the list. Bull Trout reproduce in the tributaries of Rimrock lake, which technically isn't high enough for Eastern Wa to be called an Alpine lake, but 2900 feet is high enough for me so I put them on the list. Rainbows don't seem to spawn in many high lakes here as far as I have been able to determine. If anyone has more info on these let me know (and yes I am including Charr with trout for simplicity).

Trout Species Ranked by Spawning Ability in Washington Alpine Lakes

1. Brook Trout
2. Cutthroat Trout
3. Bull Trout
4. Lake Trout
5. Rainbow Trout
6. Golden Trout
7. Brown Trout

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Which Trout Species Reproduce Well in our Alpine Lakes?

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:53 pm

The Browns in Cooper spawn in the incoming river at the top of the lake.