Colchuck Lake Trout

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fisherben
Petty Officer

Colchuck Lake Trout

Post by fisherben » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:06 am

I just recently visited Colchuck Lake and the fishing was great! However I'm wondering about the fish in the lake. They all seemed like they were healthy, huge and wild. If so it seems like a lacustrine population, since I saw lots of trout fry and parr around the shallow shores. I also heard of there being cutthroats and cutthroat/rainbow hybrids in Colchuck, so I'm curious to know whether the fish in that lake are stocked or wild, since most of you might agree that an alpine lake that sustains lots of wild fish approaching the 1-pound range would be pretty awesome! If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know. Thanks!

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Colchuck Lake Trout

Post by G-Man » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:36 am

The lake gets stocked on a not so regular basis with cutthroat and rainbow trout. It is one of the better alpine lakes with regards to fish size. There are several places along the lake shore that I saw which would be more than adaquate for spawning, so I'm sure there are naturally reproducing fish in the lake and why you have hybrids. Thankfully it's quite a hump to get to the lake which is a great natural deterrent to overfishing.

fisherben
Petty Officer

Post by fisherben » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:49 pm

Thans G-man! I am also wondering, what type of habitat do trout require to spawn in a lake? Thanks again?

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:45 pm

As long as the water is cold and has enough oxygen, most any gravel/rocky bed will do. Some spawn on beaches, some next to springs and others will use sand if that is the only thing available.

fisherben
Petty Officer

Post by fisherben » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks!

netminderSea
Angler

Post by netminderSea » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:55 pm

Hey gang,

I'm headed up to Colcuck this coming weekend and happy to see some recent success. I plan on targeting trout and bass on a spinning rod w/ a light floracarbon line, dark browns & black spinners, spoons and may throw in some eggs and maybe worms.

Do you guys think that set up would work for a bait casting set up?

Thanks,

Net

fisherben
Petty Officer

Post by fisherben » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:16 pm

Probably! Most trout will hit worms and eggs in any lake. The spinners should work fine too. I didn't even know there were bass in Colchuck. Which type of bass? What other fish are in the lake? If the bass fishing is good, next time I go up there I guess I will have more options!

netminderSea
Angler

Post by netminderSea » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:24 am

fisherben wrote:Probably! Most trout will hit worms and eggs in any lake. The spinners should work fine too. I didn't even know there were bass in Colchuck. Which type of bass? What other fish are in the lake? If the bass fishing is good, next time I go up there I guess I will have more options!

Hey Fish,

I was surprised to hear that too but I was talking to a guy at my boat shop who does a fair amount of alpine lake fishing and told me bass were in there too. He suggested spoons with dark brown or black trailer. I'll be happy if I pull a few trout but a bonus would be anything else. I might try some small trout swim baits to see if any bass chomps it. I've never been up to Colchuck so I'm really excited to check it out.

I'll repost to this thread hopefully with a few pics. ;-)

-Net

netminderSea
Angler

Post by netminderSea » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Success.

Our campsite happened to be right on the lake and had a nice slab of granite on it which I used to fish. The lake was crystal clear and provided a postcard perfect view of Aasgard Pass and Dragontail Peak. I took a spinning rod which folded nicely into two and while I didn't actually see anyone else fishing I passed plenty of people on the trail with fly or spinning rods in tow.

WIthout doubt if you fly fish (I don't) this could be a mecca of places to tap into. I brought far more lures than I used but what worked for the trout I caught were perch and trout lipped crank baits. I removed the barbs and nailed more than a few with all but one being 13" or greater. I was sick on the hike in and the time there was short due to the hike up Assgard but I'll return and look to bring a fly rod next time.

It was remarkable to actually see the bite turn on. In the morning and evening you could see trout all over the lake hitting the surface. Even though the bugs were not out in full force the trout seemed to know something different. It was like a concert of ripples and each time those ripples began, I had a trout shortly thereafter.

What a hike, what a lake, what an experience.

Net

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Glad to read that you had a good time fishing the lake. Sounds like you opted for the circle route between the Stuart Lake and Snow Lakes trailheads, how was the rest of the hike? That is by far my favorite hike in Washington State, especially when the weather cooperates.

DaveGroves
Angler

Post by DaveGroves » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:25 pm

I hiked there last year - same day as fire started by Entiat but is the best hike of my life and gorgeous - may fish it if I can - enjoy the views - pack it out!!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:08 pm

I think the guy had his lakes mixed up when he said bass were in Colchuck.