Talapus and Olallie lakes

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Talapus and Olallie lakes

Post by meandermeadows » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:19 pm

I hiked into lake Talapus in May with a friend and we threw in a line. There was some activity, a few risers here and there, but no luck. I had intended on continuing up to Olallie but my friend had to split early so we turned back. I have wanted to go back ever since.

The hike in is uphill but not particularly steep. Between Talapus and Olallie there is a trail that spurs off to Pratt lake, and I made a note to take that trail next time up.

Approaching Olallie, I came upon a few older people who just loved my dawg and we chatted while we walked the last little bit to the lake. I set up my spinning rod while one of the ladies in the group played with Halle. Just as I was about to throw my line in, they up and left and I quickly realized why. Here came a man and woman with what appeared to be an entire daycare. They just tromped on down and were all over the place, with no regard for the fact that they weren't the only ones there. I packed up and headed out in search of a quiet spot.

I worked my way around the lake and ended up doing some bushwhacking. It was pretty slick and there was a lot of standing water in the grasses around the lake's edge from recent rains, so I was glad to have gore-tex boots. Halle got a little hung up in some of the brush, but we made it around the lake and found a nice spot in the shade with a good bank. I had set my line up with a reddish woolly bugger and a water bobber with about a 5 foot leader. I threw out about a dozen casts and got nothing. No bites, no chases, no rises. I do believe that there are fish in this lake, as there is a network of old fishing trails around the lake. I left thinking that I would like to give it a shot from my pack raft.

The hike is beautiful, the views are lovely, it is abundant with fresh water and fresh air, and I didn't go home disappointed. It is a little busy for my taste, even aside from the kids. I believe there were about 12 cars in the parking lot when I got back, which is a bit for a Thursday. In all, it was a great day in November for a hike, 60 degrees and sunny, and I'll take it ;)
Fisken Morder!!!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Talapus and Olallie lakes

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:00 pm

that is a nice hike. Did a video of it six years ago. Thanks for the report!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:47 pm

So you're that guy that makes all those alpine lakes videos I have seen on Youtube! Very cool!
Fisken Morder!!!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:07 pm

One of them anyway. Although, I slowed down the past two years. I need to get back in the groove.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:05 pm

Well it is great to put a name to a face! I have watched some of your videos and they are pretty cool :)
Fisken Morder!!!

TeachingTitusToFish
Petty Officer

Post by TeachingTitusToFish » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Sorry about the late reply just saw this. We do a yearly backpacking trip to those lakes and have fished both those numerous times and have done quite well, usually tossing roostertails or other spinners, my buddy tosses flies. Most fish are stunted in the 8-10" range. If you check out the map on the WDFW high lakes page it lists all the lakes that have trout populations in them. There is a map, but it is down right now. It has colored dots labeling each lake. Can't remember exactly but I think green is stocked, red is stocked and over abundant, and yellow is stocked but no info. Again the map is down so I can't confirm the exact colors and what they mean. We mainly fish Talapus, but I'm positive that Olallie is one of the lakes with an over abundance of fish, and that's why they're all stunted. WDFW recommends catching and keeping fish from the over abundant lakes. I've caught brook and cutties out of both lakes. Always keep a couple to roast over the fire at night. Talapus has tons of crayfish as well.