WL.com High lakes photo collection

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:WL.com High lakes photo collection

Post by natetreat » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:50 pm

mallard83 wrote:
The Quadfather wrote:What is the story on the mine? Obviously not something to play around in,,, but tease us with some history/story on the mine.
Back at the turn of the century they used to mine ore out of the may creek area. There are these mines scattered all over reiter. The mine in the pic was about 3/4 the way up the last scramble to the lake far right away from May Creek Falls (basically straight up). There used to be a mining camp at the west end by the outlet creeks.

The last part of the hike is pretty much straight up and you are climbing more than hiking right next to the falls. If you pay attention you can see remnants of the old cedar plank trial the miners laid out to take the ore out in carts. All I can say is that the men back then were tough as hell.=d&gt]

As for parking, where do you park? All the signs that say closed, do they mean for off roaders or for hikers. I don't want to spend the day up there and find out I've been towed, after a big hike up and down. But I want to go there somethin feirce, just haven't been able to find enough info on it. Thanks for the pictures, that's such a cool looking place!

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:42 pm

As far as I know you can still hike in legally, but I have not done this hike since they closed the area to off-roading. We used to drive about half way up and then park. I would not want to do this hike if I had to park all the way down at the road unless I had to. I've done it, it's not fun. The area is supposed to reopen eventually to limited use areas. I am waiting to see what exactly is going to happen with the area before I go up again. There is no marked trail and lots of other unmarked trails that intersect.:shaking:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:10 pm

mallard83 wrote:As far as I know you can still hike in legally, but I have not done this hike since they closed the area to off-roading. We used to drive about half way up and then park. I would not want to do this hike if I had to park all the way down at the road unless I had to. I've done it, it's not fun. The area is supposed to reopen eventually to limited use areas. I am waiting to see what exactly is going to happen with the area before I go up again. There is no marked trail and lots of other unmarked trails that intersect.:shaking:
well that's good to know. I have a gps and am familiar with wayfinding and maps and such, so that wouldn't be a problem for me. The long hike wouldn't be either. I don't think I'm going to try it until spring at least, so we'll see what they do, I've see guys working up there doing stuff, but I'm not sure what they were doing. It looks like a wonderful place to go though, so I may make the trip next season regardless of the hike length. BTW how is the fishing up there?

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Fishing is so-so for trout 6-12''.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: WL.com High lakes photo collection

Post by kevinb » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:17 pm

Thought I'd revive this thread after nearly 5 years. Please feel free to post some alpine lakes pictures. I need to catch up. I have a few to add from previous fishing, hiking/climbing trips.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:38 am

Thanks Kevin, I plan on getting out and hiking a few lakes. Got a dog to take with me so not sure how that will work out.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:49 am

Natetreat, did you ever (since last posted 5 years ago) make the hike to Lake Isabel?

joetucker803
Petty Officer

Post by joetucker803 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:52 pm

Sheep Lake
Attachments
644238_10200789240228284_1330289795_n.jpg

cwbraue
Petty Officer

Post by cwbraue » Tue May 24, 2016 8:10 am

Stuart Lake