Good spinners or spoons for bluegill?

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fullstringer98
Warrant Officer

Good spinners or spoons for bluegill?

Post by fullstringer98 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:27 am

Igot some babysitting money and know where bluegill are on lake sammamish but cant seem for them to take anything.
Diehard 'Hawks fan

returnofthefish
Captain

RE:Good spinners or spoons for bluegill?

Post by returnofthefish » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:50 am

Instead of spoons and spinners, have you tried maggots on a salmon egg hook under a bobber? I slayed bluegills at Kapowsin with that set up. Mepps also makes tiny spinners used for stream trout that could work.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:31 pm

Worms on a tiny hook under a bobber will do better than spinners. They like tiny little jigs, the little powerbait ones work well. Also I've had luck nymphing a small flie through their nest, the gobble it up. But when they go lockjaw, like midday, it is better to put a worm right in front their face and wiggle it. A small bite sized piece will irritate them and they will bite. I've never been able to get them to chase a spinner long enough for a decent hookset, also I don't have ones with small enough hooks. Tiny little joe's flies spinners have worked for me, because you can reel with a slow enough retrieve because of their colorado blades and no weight.

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:06 pm

I like to use a 1/64 or 1/80 jig hook with a tiny piece of worm, just enough to cover the hook with a bobber. I also found that they like the 1 inch watermelon pearl colored minnows made by GuLp. They are killer for panfish on a 1/64 jighead. Oh, depending on the depth of water, I hang the jig about 18-24 inches from the bobber. You have to play around with it to find the depth they want to attack the bait,but I have had the best luck with about 18 inches. Good luck,let me know how you do!!

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:22 am

hi ya fullstringer98, If the gills are reluctant to bite, it is a challenge to get them interested in spinners or spoons (as was mentioned earlier). So if you want a "sure fire" gill catching trip, just go to one of the local pet supply stores in your area, and pick up a couple dozen feeder crickets. Most shops carry the brown crickets for the arachnids and reptiles. You will want the live ones. Get yourself a few #6 "aberdeen" long shanked hooks, and hang them under a bobber, then hang on. I like to use the small slip bobbers, and add just enough weight to make it stand up. Using the slip bobber, you can adjust the depth easily, plus it is easier to cast/control than the traditional bobber set-up. If you get a chance to use this set-up be sure to let us know how it works for you. In my experience the long shanked hooks do not detract from the bite if there's a brown cricket hanging on it. LOL
Good luck with them.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:27 pm

blufin loui wrote:hi ya fullstringer98, If the gills are reluctant to bite, it is a challenge to get them interested in spinners or spoons (as was mentioned earlier). So if you want a "sure fire" gill catching trip, just go to one of the local pet supply stores in your area, and pick up a couple dozen feeder crickets. Most shops carry the brown crickets for the arachnids and reptiles. You will want the live ones. Get yourself a few #6 "aberdeen" long shanked hooks, and hang them under a bobber, then hang on. I like to use the small slip bobbers, and add just enough weight to make it stand up. Using the slip bobber, you can adjust the depth easily, plus it is easier to cast/control than the traditional bobber set-up. If you get a chance to use this set-up be sure to let us know how it works for you. In my experience the long shanked hooks do not detract from the bite if there's a brown cricket hanging on it. LOL
Good luck with them.
I'm with Blufin Loui on this one. I've always known blugills to take insects over most any other bait/lure. Grasshoppers and crickets are classic bluegill bait.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:59 pm

While at the pet store grab some wax worms I have had tremendous luck for panfish using them on a small 1/32 oz jig head. I fish them under trees if there are any available.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:20 pm

In nc we would always use crickets for bream as they called them there. Never tried them in wa but I bet that they work just as good here.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:24 am

[img=http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm18 ... /014-1.jpg]the killer jig with a slab[/img]

Here is one I got a couple weeks ago with jig still in it's mouth!
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket