Sprague Lake

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
hewesfisher
Admiral

Re: Sprague Lake

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:51 am

Anglinarcher wrote:Tree huggers are united and political. We sportsmen are not.
And they are well funded. License fees don't provide anywhere near enough financial support to combat well funded politically active organizations. It would take well funded, pro-sporting organizations to lobby for our interests, and that's not happening on the same scale as those who actively lobby against us.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:39 pm

You fellas ever hear of a outfit called Keep America Fishing?

tluedeke
Petty Officer

Post by tluedeke » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:43 pm

Given the amazing success at Moses Lake (it was dead water 15 years ago, but is an amazing fishery now), it might have been better for the WDFW to put impose spiny ray bag limits (hate to sound racist or judgmental, but I saw lots of Russian immigrants coming out of Sprague with 5-gallon buckets of crappie and perch from ice fishing - no body of water can handle that for any length of time). The other option which likely would be more cost effective than a total rotenone treatment would be to put a bounty on carp (a few thousand dollars generates a lovely carp shooting tournament), adjust lake levels (like they do in the Basin for carp control), or do selective rotenone treatment during the carp spawn in June.

While that body of water is extremely rich, managing it for trout is pretty cynical for WDFW (i.e. dog food trout == $$$$$). That is a superlative warm water lake, and although the trout are big, it is truly a waste - they should utilize colder bodies of water for trout. That lake used to be a beast for crappie, bluegill, and perch....

The really offensive thing to me is that the WDFW has to continually lie to spiny ray fisherman about how much like the past the fishery will become, rather than just being honest, coming out, and stating that hence it will be managed for foul tasting, but spectacularly huge trout....

duffy
Petty Officer

Post by duffy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:50 pm

tluedeke, agree 200%! I too have seen the immigrants hauling off buckets of fish and leaving a total mess of things. Also never could figure out how WDFW thought a 18' dishpan lake could support trout, at least ones you could eat. Same thing happened with our Pacific lake north of Odessa. They took a survey in the paper of what kind of fish people wanted. I saw many of the surveys and it was a good 80% spiney ray but when their results came out, it was supposedly overwhelmingly trout. Yeh right. It's all about job security and $$$.

tluedeke
Petty Officer

Post by tluedeke » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:31 pm

Since those posts a couple of years ago, I've since moved out of the area. I'm curious, is Sprague still a fisheries management train wreck of a lake with only enormous (and nasty-tasting) trout in it? Or has the spiny ray (i.e. crappie, bluegill, but not LMB) finally rebounded?

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:30 am

No!

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:11 pm

I have heard of LMB being caught but I have not seen any. The trout fishery was fantastic just before the lake froze over, 20" trout were common and they tasted very good smoked. I did read a report a couple days ago about a Vodka drinking group taking several limits each of large trout in one day ice fishing.