Roosevelt - Minnows/bait fish populations

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Anglinarcher
Admiral

Roosevelt - Minnows/bait fish populations

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:53 pm

I have noticed that in the last 5 years I see more and more minnows this time of year in Roosevelt, at least from 7 Bays to the free flowing river.

Two years ago I noticed an increase in sculpin minnows. Three years ago, in the Kettle Arm, I saw what I think was an increase in Chisel Mouth minnows. Four years ago I found an increase of Stickle Back Minnows in the fish I kept. Every year I see an increase of minnows everywhere that are too small for me to catch with my trap or cast net so I cannot identify them. Last Saturday I could not believe how many I saw, and not only near the shore but often out in deeper water.

What are you guys noticing and do you know what the minnows that are about 2 to 2.5 inches long right now are? Have you also noticed that the Walleye see to be bigger then they use to be? Are you guys also seeing more fish over that 16" size like I am?

:-k :scratch:

soberg
Angler

Re: Roosevelt - Minnows/bait fish populations

Post by soberg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:27 pm

Anglingarcher I just saw you post here. And yas, yes and I am not sure what they are. Esp up the arm. I fish little falls alot and I have caughg more perch and sculping this yr then I have since the mid 80s. Althought I did fish near bouy 5 in late october and we caught alot of 9" Walleye. I am hoping they are this yrs hatch. We did get in to some nicer Walleyes closer to the North shore there. 18" to 20" before we got blown into a cove where we caught some awsome trout. I dont catch trout quite as fast as on the main body but alot larger.
Catchum

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:41 pm

Interesting.

fishinChristian
Commander

Post by fishinChristian » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:53 am

Similar to Soberg. I have seen mega-schools of perch minnows the last 2 years, and some kind of silvery looking very small minnows that blanket what seems like acres of shallow bay water.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:07 pm

I have noticed less winter draw down. Perhaps more cover remains and less fish gets flushed downstream.

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Fish in the arm are definitely smaller. Pretty bad when there is a tournament and the biggest fish of the tournament is a little over a pound if I remember right. We have been seeing a lot of perch minnow and crawdads in the fish we have been catching...

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:56 am

Ok, more food but smaller. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future.