WDFW Proposal to remove panfish limits on Potholes, Moses, and Banks Lake

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

WDFW Proposal to remove panfish limits on Potholes, Moses, and Banks Lake

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:11 pm

HI All,

I got the following letters from Mike Meeseberg at Mar Don Resort. Please read and contact WDFW to voice your opinions!

Thanks,
Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
October 24, 2017
To all Fishermen and Women,

The Washington Dept of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is working on a Rule Simplification for the state for next years’ Regulation Book which comes out on 7.1.18. The reason for this is cited as complaints from the public about the complicated rules in the book. Yes, of course, the public will complain about rules. But the rules are there to protect the resources. Most of the lakes in the state do not have limits on panfish (perch, crappie and bluegill). An exception to that rule are Banks, Moses Lake and Potholes Reservoir in Central Washington, our home.

A little history-when Grand Coulee Dam was completed and water began to flow into the Columbia Basin for irrigation purposes into these holding lakes a secondary benefit became evident…fishing. The waters were fertile and fish came through the system and propagated. In the 60’s and 70’s people fished these waters and commonly took 5-gallon buckets of the panfish. By the late 70’s the fish were disappearing at a rapid rate. The Mt. St. Helens eruption in May 1980 put the finishing touches on the fishery with the 4 inches of ash settling on the spawn. In 2005 the Central Washington Fish Advisory (cwfac.org) received a permit to build underwater habitat for our panfish on Potholes Reservoir. This is a 20-year permit and it is working after 12 years of toil. The point of the habitat is to give fish a place to live and grow away from fish and bird predation. While we are decades away from the glory days of the 60’s and 70’s, we are on the path there.

A size and quantity limit was placed on the panfish years ago to give them a chance to get re-started. Now this is threatened by the rule simplification which has both the size and quantity limits removed. These 3 lakes are famous for their amazing walleye and bass fishery. These fish also thrive on the nursery stock in the lakes, the panfish. Removing the limits not only threatens the panfish themselves but their big brothers who live on them. And, worst of all for WDFW, threatens the sale of licenses.

I would also add this: The WDFW has an APP called Fish Washington that is active today. Soon you will be able to type in a lake or river name and call up rules specific to it. So I ask this question? In the case of protection of our resources vs. rule simplification to have a smaller and easier book to read I think the protection of our resource must win the day. Especially in light of the current and upcoming APP which will easily put all info at the tip of our fingers on our smart phone.
Please go to the following link to send a comment specific to the panfish rule change:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/ ... y.php?id=5

For more info you can also go to: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/rule_proposals/
We have started a Facebook page: Save our Limits

Please voice your concern by Nov 30th and help us protect our resource.

Thank you, Mike Meseberg
CWFAC, President
MarDon Resort, Owner
509.350.1591 for Mike or 509.346.2651 for Pete Fisher, Mgr. MarDon Tackle Shop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 15, 2017

Please HELP- every fisherman, fisherwoman, every family that has visited and fished the Potholes Reservoir, Moses Lake. and or Banks Lake - go to the WDFW website and oppose the proposed lifting of all size and number limits on perch, crappie and bluegill!

These panfish fisheries are awesome fisheries in their own right - and - going strong! The Largemouth and Smallmouth bass as well as the Walleye depend on these fish for forage!

Between CWFAC's efforts to restore fry habitat and the current limits on panfish (perch, crappie, and bluegill) - it is all working extremely well! Do not allow the WDFW to devolve on an issue and policy that they have been so successfully involved in creating! It ain't broke . . . don't try to fix it!
Please help us keep the current limits on the panfish! We can all complain after the fact - but we have the opportunity - right now - to be heard! We all have until November 30, 2017 to weigh in! Please help us save this invaluable resource. Get involved!

We can make a difference – we, as a group, need to speak up!

Please go to the following link to send a comment specific to the panfish rule change:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/ ... y.php?id=5

For more info you can also go to: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/rule_proposals/

We have started a Facebook page: Save our Limits for more info and to read comments from others.
Thank you,

Pete Fisher Mike Meseberg
MarDon Tackle Shop Mgr CWFAC Pres/MarDon Resort

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: WDFW Proposal to remove panfish limits on Potholes, Moses, and Banks Lake

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20 pm

I agree. I voted against the new reg and for limits.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:39 am

One thing we need to remember is the statewide policy, like statewide rules, won't apply to every body of water.

For example, statewide rules for trout include kokanee, but some lakes exclude kokanee from the trout limit. Some lakes have other restrictions different from statewide rules, like crappie with a minimum 9" rule, or no retention of trout with intact adipose fins, and many, many more.

In my opinion, a HUGE problem with the freshwater rules in WA is the number of lakes, beaver ponds, rivers, and streams with seasons and retention rules that are NOT the same as statewide rules. The department needs to put more emphasis on referencing the Special Rules section FIRST, then if the lake, beaver pond, river, stream, is NOT listed refer to statewide rules. The statewide rules are the last thing I refer to when fishing a new body of water, I ALWAYS start with the Special Rules section.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think all that's changing is the policy in how WDFW views panfish limits in general with exceptions as noted in the Special Rules section which has not been targeted for elimination.

From a management standpoint, I agree with a default policy "no limit" (which is mostly already that way), with exceptions noted in the Special Rules just as it is today.

I'm willing to bet Moses Lake, Potholes, Banks Lake, Roosevelt, and many others will still have the restrictions as currently listed in the Special Rules section of the pamphlet.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

rdnzl
Petty Officer

Post by rdnzl » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:30 am

Any update on this?

I think lifting the limits on panfish would be a very bad idea. It would invite fish hogs from the west side, in droves, to come fill their freezers.

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:49 pm

Can we get an update in regards to this removal of limit?

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:18 pm

rdnzl wrote:Any update on this?

I think lifting the limits on panfish would be a very bad idea. It would invite fish hogs from the west side, in droves, to come fill their freezers.
Build a wall! Keep them out! It’s all their fault! Let’s see, I have seen residents on the Eastside dump batteries in the potholes, put out a trot line with at least 10 hooks on it, dump garbage on the side of the road and poach big deer in a restricted area. Yes, I called in all of them. I also picked up an unmarked crawfish trap in the potholes that had been killing crawfish for years. I was born on the East side. Let’s not have any illusions that only West side folks overfish or treat the resorces poorly. :-({|=

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:40 am

Go to WDFW website and on the right side of the page you'll see "I WANT TO" and several options. The last one is "Join WDFW Mailing Lists". When you click on that you will see several options, pick the one or ones you want to receive and cease being left out wondering what's happening.

FWIW, the comment period on the proposal closed weeks ago and WDFW presented their recommendations to the Commission yesterday. Visit this page for a summary of the recommendations - https://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings ... n1818.html
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

rdnzl
Petty Officer

Post by rdnzl » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:00 pm

TrackerPro16 wrote:
rdnzl wrote:Any update on this?

Build a wall! Keep them out! It’s all their fault! Let’s see, I have seen residents on the Eastside dump batteries in the potholes, put out a trot line with at least 10 hooks on it, dump garbage on the side of the road and poach big deer in a restricted area. Yes, I called in all of them. I also picked up an unmarked crawfish trap in the potholes that had been killing crawfish for years. I was born on the East side. Let’s not have any illusions that only West side folks overfish or treat the resorces poorly. :-({|=
Point taken. But local hogs are better than west side hogs. [blink]