Roosevelt 'eyes

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Eglseder
Petty Officer

Roosevelt 'eyes

Post by Eglseder » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:10 am

I was wondering if anyone familiar with Lake Roosevelt could PM me a little about the Spokane Arm and nearby areas. I know how to fish for walleye and what to use (grew up fishing the Mississippi River fishing for them). My problem is that I do not have a boat, so I fish out of my kayak. What I am wondering is how far I would have to paddle to get to some of the spots. Some places just won't be feasible if I have to paddle against current for 4+ miles. Sounded like porcupine launch would have been great, but I see it's been closed for a while. I'm willing to put in the work, but it would just eat the day away and kill fishing time, traveling to far. And then of course the wind could be a deadly factor, if I got blown off the lake. Spokane arm is what I am most interested in and my initial guess is that there is too much current for me...would I be correct in assuming that? I greatly appreciate any input! Maybe I will some some of ya out there this spring/summer. Hoping to go this Sunday or Monday for my first scouting trip and planning on trying hawk creek, since it looks somewhat protected.

Thanks!!

PS...I'm always looking for fishing buddies! If anyone kayak fishes, I try to get out quite a bit and fish many different lakes. Also, it's safer to fish with others. Just ordered a helix 5 that I am stoked to try out!
Last edited by Eglseder on Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Re: Roosevelt 'eyes

Post by hewesbob » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:07 pm

I was ready to offer up a bunch of information to help you get into some walleye until I got to the part of your post about not paying to use the launch. Right now the water levels are to low for anybody to launch with a trailer so shore launching is about the only other option. We (folks with boats on trailers) pay our fair share to keep these launches in great shape when the water level allows us to use them, so what makes you think you should not pay your fair share to launch from shore? I see you are from Western Washington, it probably don't bother you a bit to spend a hundred dollars or so on gas plus the cost of lodging, fishing gear, ect, ect. but then you don't want to pay a few dollars so our parks and launches can be kept up and be a nice place to visit. I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant but it just burns my butt when people want something for nothing. Maybe some body out there will help you out with some advise but it won't be me. Good luck , stay safe, and have a nice day.

Eglseder
Petty Officer

Post by Eglseder » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:17 pm

hewesbob wrote:I was ready to offer up a bunch of information to help you get into some walleye until I got to the part of your post about not paying to use the launch. Right now the water levels are to low for anybody to launch with a trailer so shore launching is about the only other option. We (folks with boats on trailers) pay our fair share to keep these launches in great shape when the water level allows us to use them, so what makes you think you should not pay your fair share to launch from shore? I see you are from Western Washington, it probably don't bother you a bit to spend a hundred dollars or so on gas plus the cost of lodging, fishing gear, ect, ect. but then you don't want to pay a few dollars so our parks and launches can be kept up and be a nice place to visit. I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant but it just burns my butt when people want something for nothing. Maybe some body out there will help you out with some advise but it won't be me. Good luck , stay safe, and have a nice day.
No worries! I will pay, I just meant I would rather not have to pay so much to launch when I don't need a ramp at all. The water is everybodys...Don't mean to ruffle feathers about the launch thing. Hopefully I will be a boat owner soon! If I had a boat it would be a different story for sure. I actually just moved to Spokane, so I'm excited about even having the opportunities to fish for

Cheers and tight lines!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:08 am

If you don't need a launch don't use it. Just remember, launch fees are used to maintain all improved access to the water, ramps, docks, toilets, parking, etc. not just provide access for trailered boats.

Boat Launch permits are required year-round at all Lake Roosevelt's National Park Service boat launches, regardless of boat type

Purchase a launch permit at the boat launch if you plan on using it...

If you leave your vehicle in the launch parking area and don't display a season pass ($45) or the stub from the launch permit ($7 good for 7 days), you risk receiving a citation. The WDFW launch permit to hang from your mirror is not valid at any launch in Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area. You must also display the aquatic invasive species form in your vehicle - https://www.nps.gov/laro/learn/nature/a ... pecies.htm

Now, as to fishing. Kayak or canoe would be fine but only if you stay close to shore. Winds can really pick up anywhere on Roosevelt, not just the arm, and no way I'd want to be in a kayak when they do. If you decide to do this, I highly recommend you get a mast with a high visibility flag (like ATV's use) so boaters can see you. Kayaks and canoes are essentially invisible due their low profile on the water and that's not a good combination in high speed boating areas which Lake Roosevelt is except the designated no wake zones. I've experienced this several times on Lake Roosevelt and it's not good.

Welcome to Eastern Washington. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Eglseder
Petty Officer

Post by Eglseder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:41 am

Yeah, I worry about the wind for sure. That's why I was thinking hawk creek might protect me some and provide a couple fish. I will have to buy some flags, as I do not have any right now. All I have fished is smaller bodies of water. I've worked on the ocean and eaten a ton of different fish and walleye are still my favorite to this day. I'm just gonna buy the annual pass. Thanks for sharing the link. I deleted that part about launching fees on my original post because it was poorly worded and does not reflect at all who I am. I am willing to pay to play. It will be good, motivation wise, to get over there and fish more. I can also chase kokes and trout then! I only lived on the west side for a couple years, while working as a biologist in Alaska...had to get away from the crowd on that side and found a job out here.

fishinlegend
Angler

Post by fishinlegend » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:24 am

Along these same lines, I have always wondered if there is any bank access where you could target walleye on the Spokane arm. I would think that this time of year with the low water levels that you could possibly target some moving water, eddy's, etc. from the bank if there were any places like that. I have scoured the satellite images and it looks like that might be a possibility but I've never actually done any exploration to confirm. Does anyone know of places like this that might exist? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:52 am

Fishinlegend, there is a place on the tribal side of the river. Look it up on Google map, it's called West End Church and accessed of West End Road. I haven't fished it in a couple years but it used to be a great walleye spot. just be aware that if you launch from the tribal side of the river you need a tribal license and have to abide by tribal laws.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:02 am

hewesbob wrote:Fishinlegend, there is a place on the tribal side of the river. Look it up on Google map, it's called West End Church and accessed of West End Road. I haven't fished it in a couple years but it used to be a great walleye spot. just be aware that if you launch from the tribal side of the river you need a tribal license and have to abide by tribal laws.
Same applies if you're fishing from tribal lands or crossing tribal lands to access the water. Happens every time water levels are low enough for anglers to access Geezer Beach near the dam. You might be below the 1310' line but you have to cross tribal land to and from. Safe course of action is to acquire a tribal permit. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

tbrinks
Warrant Officer

Post by tbrinks » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:06 am

With the water so low, you can adjust the depth on your Navionics app. I've done this at Dworshak last year with the water down 84 feet and it is a great tool to help keep you a little safer on the water and find some fish. Good luck out there.

To do it just go to Menu then Map Options then Water Level

Spokane, WA
Navionics Sponsored
http://www.tbrinksfishing.com

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:24 am

Great tip if you can find a place to launch! As of this morning, Spring Canyon would be the only potential place to launch and I wouldn't be surprised if it's already barricaded since reservoir level was 1223.1' at 7am and is projected to be 1221.96' by 5pm today.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System