Crappie Fishing

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Crappie Fishing

Post by Joe Heater » Sat May 12, 2007 1:26 pm

I have found tons of crappies but only getting a few takers. I've thrown just about every jig I can think of at them and it seems only the chartruse jigs get any action. I've caught about 9 crappies in 2 days and I am right on top of them. This is usually a fish that once you find them and you get one you get another and another and another. Could be that they haven't spawned yet and they aren't all that active but I aint buying that. I am missing the boat here and was wondering if anyone has any help. I keep hearing about maggots. Where I am from when we had this problem you just threw a minnow on there and it was lights out. Anyone else know the trick in Washington. Talked to a guy the other day that says he got 40 one night but wouldn't tell me what he was using. Oh well, keep trying I guess.
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

CK14
Lieutenant

RE:Crappie Fishing

Post by CK14 » Sat May 12, 2007 5:52 pm

1/64oz tube jig tipped with a maggot, yellow/white, white, red/white. this will catch fish anywhere in the state.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 12, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sat May 12, 2007 6:22 pm

They say that minnows are the best to use for crappie. I never use minnows I go with maggots. I also go with the 1/64 oz jig. Alot of people use bigger jigs but the biggest that I go is 1/32 oz

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Sat May 12, 2007 10:30 pm

So do you leave fish carcases out or where do you get the maggots? You actually mean live maggots? And if you mean live maggots, how do you keep them alive or do you just throw a dead one on their? Thanks for the help. I went tonight and got 2 more but they are there just not liking what I am offering. Never thought about using maggots for fishing and I know minnows are illegal in this state. I see those packaged emerald shiners in walmart but never tried them. The ones I have caught have been on a florescent green tube jig plain.
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Sat May 12, 2007 11:22 pm

Joe Heater wrote:tube jig plain.
ah, that's the problem. never use a plain jig, either tip it with a maggot or crappie nibble. you can buy maggots in stores like fred meyer, joe's, and other tackle shops around.

and yes, minnows are illegal in this state, sucks for us ](*,)

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Sun May 13, 2007 1:07 am

That same jig just slays them at Cassidy with out anything on it but rarely do any of them get over 9 inches. Thanks for the tip. I will be headed in to buy maggots here shortly and hopefully that will be the ticket. Appreciate your help.

Joe

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri May 18, 2007 9:15 am

i catch alot of crappie and i always use plain green gitzit jigs. i will give it a shot with the nibbles though.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri May 18, 2007 6:56 pm

Joe, another good live bait to use for crappie is mealworms. You can find them at most pet stores. Sounds more appealing to me than maggots. :-& J/K
If the guy was fishing at night he might have been using a light and a fluorescent jig. A really good way to catch a ton of crappie.
Try a small spinner thru the school next time too.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 18, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri May 18, 2007 9:14 pm

fishnislife wrote:Joe, another good live bait to use for crappie is mealworms. You can find them at most pet stores. Sounds more appealing to me than maggots. :-& J/K
If the guy was fishing at night he might have been using a light and a fluorescent jig. A really good way to catch a ton of crappie.
Try a small spinner thru the school next time too.

fishnislife
Iv never thought of getting them at the pet store. How much are they?

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri May 18, 2007 9:30 pm

There usually $4.50 for a 1oz cup. The size cup you buy nightcrawlers in. You know, the white styrofoam kind. There is about 50 in there and you can get them in different sizes too, 1/4" - 1". Just ask the next time your in a pet store or when you go for bait.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 18, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sat May 19, 2007 12:26 am

fishnislife wrote:There usually $4.50 for a 1oz cup. The size cup you buy nightcrawlers in. You know, the white styrofoam kind. There is about 50 in there and you can get them in different sizes too, 1/4" - 1". Just ask the next time your in a pet store or when you go for bait.

fishnislife
Thanks Ill have to try that next time I use a lot of maggots and wouldnt mind trying something new

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat May 19, 2007 7:38 am

Moving this topic to Freshwater Fishing section...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sat May 19, 2007 9:11 am

i've gotten to were i rarely use a jig larger than 1/32, i usually fish 1/64-1/100oz. when they are hard to bite, a very slow retrieve has put lots of those stubburn fish in the bucket. i like feathered jigs for this, tipped with a maggot, when i use tube jigs i'll pack the inside with a piece of worm or panfish bait (crappie nibbles). crappie tend to just go up to a lure and inhail then spit it out be with out you knowing that they are doing it, especially when using a bobber. so the smaller the bobber you can get away with the better. or a very slow constant retrieve will get the lure to touch the inside of the mouth letting you feel a deference the line letting you set the hook. a lite panfish pole helps in those lite bites to. <')//<

bustin
Warrant Officer

Post by bustin » Sat May 19, 2007 2:19 pm

I have had ok luck using small spinners through schools, such as a very small rooster tail with a bit of worm on the hooks.

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Sat May 19, 2007 7:06 pm

How would you fish for crappie from shore in a lake with a max depth of 12 feet?
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sun May 20, 2007 9:06 am

i like to use along pole with lite action to be able to get the maximum distance casting lite gear. a slip bobber if the fish are deep. long poles also help you get your offering along weed edges near the shore line easier. <')//<

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Sun May 20, 2007 9:26 pm

panfisher- what tackle are you using? jigs, worms...?
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sun May 20, 2007 9:36 pm

noclothes1 wrote:How would you fish for crappie from shore in a lake with a max depth of 12 feet?

A prayer ......LOL. No its just a lot easier to fish verticaly for crappie but Iv caught them from shore plenty of times. Just think bass but with a smaller presntation. Remeber a good ole' fashon worm is hard to beat

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Tue May 22, 2007 9:01 am

noclothes1- i usually my jig offering with out bait if i can see them. then i like to use a maggot or two speared through the sidedat the bigger end. maggots are pretty tuff and can last awhile. if i don't have those a small piece of worm works well. you are trying to trigger their senses. site first, then smell. <')//<

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Tue May 22, 2007 9:38 am

i like to use the smallest jigs and other lures that i can get away with in the spring, summer i'll go a little bigger and i've done better with something bigger still in the fall. kind of relates to the forage size. tiny baby fish in the spring grow through the summer to packing on the groceries in the fall for the winter months. but i usually do well throughout the year with smaller offerings. i tie my own jigs for panfishing but have bought some good crappie jigs on ebay, alot of stores (bi-mart) usually carry small stuff, if you don't find anything smaller than 1/32oz, i've taken a file to the sides of the lead head. just makes the jig move slower in the water. i only use a heavier jig to get through a school of fish to the bigger ones, or if i'm fishing deep(would take to long to sink otherwise) or needing to cast farther out. just add a split shot or two about 12" up. i try to use the smallest bobbers possible to detect those lite bites. i usually carry a supply of bobbers and jigs to give out to kids, giant bobbers and a worm bigger than the fish usally don't catch many panfish.