Perch meat

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
gpc
Admiral

Perch meat

Post by gpc » Sun May 20, 2007 8:54 pm

I use a lot of perch meat to catch crappie. It also catches a lot of perch too. Its free and there is alot of it out there. I noticed that it dosnt really catch any bluegill. Last year at lake WA I even caught a rainbow trout on perch meat. The only problem is the perch meat dosnt last long on the hook. I put it on my jig but some people put it right on a hook. Another good part of the perch for bait is the perch eye. I also use crappie tounge, its actually a rubbery piece of meat under the tounge. It lasts on your hook forever

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Perch meat

Post by A9 » Sun May 20, 2007 9:52 pm

I find that the perch meat lasts a lot longer then what I use to catch my first perch (nightcrawlers)

I think it works really well, but I don't use jigs, just baited hooks...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kartman253
Petty Officer

Post by kartman253 » Sun May 20, 2007 10:16 pm

The first pearch is allways bait, the eyes ive found work the best, i have even caugh some nice lrg mouth off just a chunk of meat on there, and if u got cats in the lake your fishing u better hold that rod tight cause bye-bye rod& reel , i only tell u that because i learned the hard way. good luck.

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Sun May 20, 2007 10:28 pm

leave the skin on the meat, it's a little harder to get it on the hook but it will last a LONG time! a yellow hair jig with a big chunk of perch meat kills perch on lake washington...

bustin
Warrant Officer

Post by bustin » Mon May 21, 2007 12:41 am

I have never thought of using them for the meat. I have always caught them again with the simple process of just the worms, but I will try this next time. I wonder also if bluegill meat could be a good attractant for larger fish?

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon May 21, 2007 12:50 am

bustin wrote:I have never thought of using them for the meat. I have always caught them again with the simple process of just the worms, but I will try this next time. I wonder also if bluegill meat could be a good attractant for larger fish?
Iv tried just about every fish for bait. They all work to some degree but Perch will be your best bet. I cant explain it but thats how it seems to work. But almost any fish will work for catfish and if you can rig the set up right any pan fish will work for walleye, but good lucktrying to rig up a crappie LOL

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Mon May 28, 2007 12:54 pm

Bluegill should work too, in Vermont whenever we visit family we just rig a whole bluegill on the hook and catch catfish and bass on it.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 29, 2007 8:40 pm

I know trout meat at Sprague works well for catfish

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Tue May 29, 2007 9:40 pm

ive only perch fished once, but i also used perch meat for fishing, but only for other perch. to me, it seams better than night crawlers. i just digged up a couple worms, catch a small perch, then cut of small strips of meat and fish :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 29, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Thu May 31, 2007 3:30 pm

Skin on, cut into little strips so they look like teardrop/arrowhead shapes. I like the belly skin where its white and reflective the best. I usually don't do this but if I use the meat I like to change up every 3/4 fish to keep the meat "fresh" tasting.