WDFW Q & A Thread - Questions for Stacie Kelsey, WDFW

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
returnofthefish
Captain

Re: WDFW Q & A Thread - Questions for Stacie Kelsey, WDFW

Post by returnofthefish » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:45 pm

The Columbia is closed on certain days to accomodate the commercial fisheries.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:46 pm

](*,) ](*,) LOL - I had the same thought.

tluedeke
Petty Officer

Post by tluedeke » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:00 am

Two questions for you. I'm abusing my privilege. O:)

Whom I would contact for information on the inland lakes in the Othello region (both CNWR and the adjacent areas)? I would like to talk to somebody familiar with the fisheries situation in these lakes, as I have a number of questions (e.g. where to bowfish carp, which lakes have healthy yellow perch and/or bluegill populations, etc.). Also, the situation with some of these lakes (e.g. Black Lake in Adams County) is very confusing, as the CNWR has fences and warning signs up all over the place, essentially blocking access to lakes that are not in the CNWR. I'm almost afraid to try these lakes, although I strongly suspect they are actually open..

The other thing I'm interested in is participating in the squawfish bounty program. However, I'm quite unfamiliar on how to catch this species (I've caught them incidentally, when fishing smallmouth bass). The pikeminnow site has some information, but it is still kind of vague. I'd like to have some suggestions on when/where to go, and more detailed information on the kind of rig folks use for these fish.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.

fullstringer98
Warrant Officer

Post by fullstringer98 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:01 am

Is the Squawfish bounty program statewide, or is it in only certain areas of the state?

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:19 am

fullstringer98 wrote:Is the Squawfish bounty program statewide, or is it in only certain areas of the state?
Only certain areas - check it out... http://www.pikeminnow.org/
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:49 am

Hey everyone - yep, dropped off again. My apologies!!

I'll try and answer past questions to get caught up:
Anglinarcher wrote:Stacie, the WDFW people have been speaking out both sides of their mouths over here. Their actions are what causes us to question and distrust WDFW in general.
The best thing I would offer up is to not give up on us and continue to work closely with the Bio's in that area. We have a new Bio that is overseeing Inland fish activities. His name is Chris Donley and he is a really really awesome guy to work with. So continue to share your thoughts and ideas. They are read and they are heard.
YellowBear wrote:Good morning Stacie.
Last spring you had mentioned there would be some work done for the warmwater species in 2011.
Reports from the IFPAG meeting also mentioned this.
Could you tell us what was done? and what is planned for this year?

Thank you for your time.
Yellowbear - there was tiger musky stocking; warmwater surveys in the various regions; northern pike sampling work; walleye work. I don't have specifics but could definitely track that down for you if you would like. Or give you contacts in the Regions so that you could talk to them directly.

For Region 5 my boat was not opertional so I didn't get the work done that I needed but that is different this year and I have a lot of plans to bust out and do some sampling!! Looking at crappie, bass, channel catfish and tiger musky.
returnofthefish wrote:Hi Stacie,

I had a question regarding a difference in what the reg book and what the press release says.

In the reg book for the Columbia River (523 Longview Bridge to I5 Bridge),Jan 1 to March 31, the daily limit is up to 2 adult hatchery chinook.

The news release from 1/26/12 (http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/jan2612a/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) states the limit is one adult hatchery chinook down river from the Bonneville Dam.

My question is why was the limit reduced when this upcoming return is the fourth largest expected?

Hello Return -

This was done to provide additional angler opportunity. The bag limited was reduced in order to increase the angling season, giving anglers more time to fish.
G-Man wrote:The conspiracy theorist in me would say the sports fishermen are limited to one adult hatchery chinook so as to discourage a large number of recreational fishermen from making the trip to the lower Columbia. This in turn will leave more fish for the commercial fishermen to harvest, which is ultimately what their lobbyists are paid to do.
See above answer.
tluedeke wrote:Two questions for you. I'm abusing my privilege. O:)

Whom I would contact for information on the inland lakes in the Othello region (both CNWR and the adjacent areas)? I would like to talk to somebody familiar with the fisheries situation in these lakes, as I have a number of questions (e.g. where to bowfish carp, which lakes have healthy yellow perch and/or bluegill populations, etc.). Also, the situation with some of these lakes (e.g. Black Lake in Adams County) is very confusing, as the CNWR has fences and warning signs up all over the place, essentially blocking access to lakes that are not in the CNWR. I'm almost afraid to try these lakes, although I strongly suspect they are actually open..

The other thing I'm interested in is participating in the squawfish bounty program. However, I'm quite unfamiliar on how to catch this species (I've caught them incidentally, when fishing smallmouth bass). The pikeminnow site has some information, but it is still kind of vague. I'd like to have some suggestions on when/where to go, and more detailed information on the kind of rig folks use for these fish.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.
Hello Tlue - This would be Region 2. You can contact them at (509) 754-4624, ask to speak to the inland fish bio for the area.

The pikeminnow programs is based in the Columbia River only. There is a pikeminnow hotline at 80-858-9015. It looks like someone gave you the website.

There will be a 2012 kickoff event at M. James Gleason Boat Ramp off Marine Drive in Portland OR on May 1 from 10 am to noon. Lots of cool stuff going on.

If you are interested in the upper columbia/snake river areas, send me your mailing address and I will mail you info: stacie.kelsey@dfw.wa.gov

________

Ok - think that about covers it. We have a lot of fish stocked and don't forget Opening Day is this Saturday so come on out to your favorite lakes and FISH ON!!!

:fish: :nemo: :fish: :nemo:

stace

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:06 am

Stacie, thanks for getting back to answer some of our questions.

Sofar all I can see that has been done with the warmwater species is eradication.
The Pike in the Pend Orellie.
Walleye in the Spokane arm.
Smallmouth in the Columbia.

As you offered to dig into the specifics, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:20 am

I will make some contacts and get back with you!

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:16 am

Yellowbear - it may take a few days to get a summary for you. The bio is pretty swamped but is aware of the request and I'll get you something soon!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:20 am

I have a question, it's been bothering me for a long time. When fishing for carp, the most effective way to get them on the bite is to chum them. Here in Seattle they give tickets to kids who chum up the carp. I know chumming is frowned upon except for the Bait Rules section of the game laws says "It is unlawful to chum or broadcast any
substance to attract GAME fish." And on the State wide general rules page of the regs, you may not "Chum (broadcast feed) to attract GAME fish unless authorized by Special Rules."

Carp are a food fish. It would seem, to me, that since they put the specificity to apply the rule to game fish, that food fish, like carp, would be fair game for chumming. Am I wrong?

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:11 pm

If it was a carp only water maybe but the chumming would likely attract game fish in the water.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:17 pm

That was my thoughts as well. How do you keep game fish from being attracted?

Also, corn is the common chum. Corn can stay on the bottom of a lake or river for a long time.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:32 pm

Uh oh Nate......... I fear another boilie discussion coming on.......... LOL ;)
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:07 pm

LOL - Don't get me wrong, I said the "common" chum, not the only chum.

In Europe, I saw several people using maggots as chum, with special chum launchers.

Like Stacie said, it can cause other species to come in also. Sunfish, trout, catfish, bass, ............ they all love maggots.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:36 pm

natetreat wrote:I have a question, it's been bothering me for a long time. When fishing for carp, the most effective way to get them on the bite is to chum them. Here in Seattle they give tickets to kids who chum up the carp. I know chumming is frowned upon except for the Bait Rules section of the game laws says "It is unlawful to chum or broadcast any
substance to attract GAME fish." And on the State wide general rules page of the regs, you may not "Chum (broadcast feed) to attract GAME fish unless authorized by Special Rules."

Carp are a food fish. It would seem, to me, that since they put the specificity to apply the rule to game fish, that food fish, like carp, would be fair game for chumming. Am I wrong?
Strictly for discussion sake>>>> I agree with you on the technical definition given in the regs. I had something similar regarding the 2 pole endorsement, not in rivers, but what is a river behind a dam, a lake. The regs regard them as rivers, 2 pole is allowed only in specific "LISTED" bodies of water that are both river and lake ect ect blah blah. What I was told after talking to a few Fish and Game folks over the phone was that I would have a case in court after receiving a ticket. LOL I'm not going to go that route obviously. Just the way it is friend. Stacie did post how you/we can make recommendations for changes to the regs. Get a hold of that form, submit it, submit multiple forms. One to recommend allowing chumming for food fish and one to clarify the regs by simply stating "ALL" fish when it comes to chumming except in specific "Listed" bodies of water. I wouldn't put more than one recommendation on each form.
It be interesting if someone has created case law on the subject....... [sneaky]

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:48 pm

You know, the only fish I've caught on corn is carp and kokanee. There are no kokanee where I target carp. Except for in Lake Washington where chumming for game fish is legal. I think that it has to be a matter of intent, which cannot be legitamately known without taking into account tackle and methodology. If they didn't want chumming for food fish, than they should change the law. It's not like they want to protect common carp, the non-native invasive species. If the folks that wrote the law wanted to, they would have said chumming for all fish is against the rules. If you were chumming with maggots, which is a great bait for panfish and trout, that would be a different story. But I've never heard of anthing besides carp eating corn off the bottom. I'm going to start chumming at Green Lake, with a copy ofthe regs in my pocket and if they give me a ticket, than I'll take it to court to establish that precedent. Because the cops on patrol has no idea of my intent, and there is no such thing as a carp only water.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:26 am

Case law, referenced authority, I believe is a matter for appellate or superior courts. I did not find any such case but did find gill netters fighting the state over seasons on chum, non natives catching and selling salmon under the guise of their native spouses, ect ect. The confusion may/may not get you off the hook in a lower court but it will not set a precedent.
There is still the 2nd pole endorsement, 3 hooks per pole allowed, you can run 6 pieces of bait legally and not worry about getting a ticket at all. Best of luck to ya Nate! [biggrin]

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:09 am

Hahaha, yea, that's true. I'm sure you're right.

BanzaiDaddy
Angler

Post by BanzaiDaddy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:40 am

Hello Stacie. Me and my Pops are looking for a place in Western WA to go catfishing at night from the shore, that allow campfires. I fished for Rainbows off the dock last weekend at American Lake where some nice folks suggested Hart's Lake in Pierce County? Someone on this site sugegsted Swofford Pond? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:21 am

Nate - trout love corn. So not just carp will eat that!

Banzai - Hello! We have some good catfish waters in my Region but none that allow campfires. Let me do some checking for you and I'll get back!

Thanks!