Vehicle break-ins at boat launch

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
downtown98033
Petty Officer

Vehicle break-ins at boat launch

Post by downtown98033 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:56 pm

I had my truck broke into at Beaver Lake boat launch on Friday. They took some good tools, etc, but fortunately, I didn't lose some of the harder to replace/very bad to lose items. The responding Sammamish PD/KCSD officer stated that this was a fairly regular occurrance there and Pine Lake.

I was just wondering if any of you have had/seen/heard of similar experiences at this or other lakes. I also wanted to open a discussion as to what we can to to protect ourselves, our belongings and each other.

I have 10 years of law enforcement and another ten in a Fortune 100 corporate security/intelligence group, so I am about as cynical and skeptical as they come.

Some things I typically do
-Pay attention to my surroundings
-Call 911 if something suspicious is happening
-Sit in my vehicle until the "suspicious person" leaves (I may act like I am on the phone or reading, or I may be obvious about watching them, depending on the situation)
-Write down a license plate or description (you never know if you will need it) or discreetly take a picture
-Acknowledge the person by saying "hello" or some other greeting, or wave to let them know you have seen them (I have asked about their vehicle, asked for directions or other local information, etc) [bad guys will often make a quick exit when they realize they have been spotted]

What I didn't do this time (that I normally do)
-I left some tool and other gear out in the open instead of leaving them at home or hiding them

Anyway, I am hoping to begin some intelligent conversation with the end goal that we limit concern about our vehicles while we're enjoying our (limited!) fishing time.
Thanks.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Vehicle break-ins at boat launch

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:50 am

P. Coor, that really stinks. Sorry that you had that experience when you are just trying to enjoy the outdoors.
I have not had such an experience as being broke into while out fishing. Many folks on here have had this, and they will jump in. I will say that I have encountered "Suspicious" people at, at least Reiter ponds, which is just about normal for that area I think.
All the things that you mentioned I think are perfectly good examples of passive ways to thwart a break in. The observing people from your vehicle, making eye contact,or a wave that you are aware of their presence.
I am sorry that I don't have any fresh ideas here, but I can say that your list was thorough, and it gave me a moment to pause and think about my actions when I get into that again.
FYI.. there is a VERY deep thread on the forum currently that sites places where people have had this happen. At least you can go to it and make a note... before going out to an unknown lake/river.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:53 am

Sorry to hear about your vehicle being broken into. This occurs far more often to we folks who fish than the police imagine. There was a thread started a while ago on this same subject and you may find it useful and informative to have a read through it, here is the link: Where-have-you-had-problems-with-breakins-or-vandalism?

Curious, I haven't heard of or experienced a vehicle break-in while hunting. Perhaps we all need to start carrying.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:57 am

Sorry to hear about your loss, and you ask if others have had this problem-YES!
You should post your experience on the "sticky"- Where have you had problems with breakins or vandalism. I myself have been hit several times and even had a tire slashed.
http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... alism.aspx
Last edited by spindog on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:44 am

That sucks. Sorry to hear. I fish at Beaver and Pine pretty often and have not had a problem...yet. I know it does happen there though. Like you said, I try not to store valuable stuff in my car, but one never knows what they'll think looks good. I try to keep my eye open for suspicious activity like that, but you can't stay near your car the whole time. Eventually that type of lifestyle will catch up to 'em you'd think.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:49 am

ive never had my truck broken into at either lake and i fish both lakes a ton throughout the years

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:08 am

very depressing. I had my vehicle broke into years ago coming back from watching a movie with a girlfriend. Boy, did that end that date on a bad note.

thanks for the good suggestions.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:16 pm

P. Coor wrote:I had my truck broke into at Beaver Lake boat launch on Friday. They took some good tools, etc, but fortunately, I didn't lose some of the harder to replace/very bad to lose items.

I have 10 years of law enforcement and another ten in a Fortune 100 corporate security/intelligence group, so I am about as cynical and skeptical as they come.
Almost sounds like you left your piece in the truck...

I like to open carry when Im launching, assuming decent weather. Lots of things going on and the tweekers take notice. I have not been to Pine yet, but will certainly carry there.

dave g
Warrant Officer

Post by dave g » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:09 pm

that is a pretty good checklist of things we can all do when we see suspicious acivity. while i've gotten away from carrying 24/7, it is safe to say that i have a piece with me every time i go on an outing. and while i don't like the idea of actually carrying while i'm fishing, i think a display of "ongoing vigilance", (ie, an open carry) around our more dubious launch areas by those of us willing to participate, would definately send a message out that us "docile" fisherfolk are willing to protect and defend our property and our heritage...
fishing may not be life, but it's a great alternative

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Rich McVey wrote:
P. Coor wrote:I had my truck broke into at Beaver Lake boat launch on Friday. They took some good tools, etc, but fortunately, I didn't lose some of the harder to replace/very bad to lose items.

I like to open carry when Im launching, assuming decent weather. Lots of things going on and the tweekers take notice. I have not been to Pine yet, but will certainly carry there.
I ALWAYS carry and the Black Diamond Police at Sawyer don't care. They even laughed when I mentioned "The jacket isn't long enough" when I pulled down the jacket to cover the pistol as I walked back to the truck after putting the boat in the water. There were 3 officers in 2 cars at the bottom of the launch 2 years ago. Then when I got searched by an Officer one morning at 1am, he wasn't concerned either, but did call it in and had a report on me sent back, he was checking out a car there as I was pulling the boat out of the water and up the launch. He said they didn't care if we parked there while fishing at night.
Tom.

Interests: living

downtown98033
Petty Officer

Post by downtown98033 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:31 am

Amx wrote:
Rich McVey wrote:

I ALWAYS carry and the Black Diamond Police at Sawyer don't care. They even laughed when I mentioned "The jacket isn't long enough" when I pulled down the jacket to cover the pistol as I walked back to the truck after putting the boat in the water. There were 3 officers in 2 cars at the bottom of the launch 2 years ago. Then when I got searched by an Officer one morning at 1am, he wasn't concerned either, but did call it in and had a report on me sent back, he was checking out a car there as I was pulling the boat out of the water and up the launch. He said they didn't care if we parked there while fishing at night.
Thanks for all the great response!
I don't carry unless I absolutely have to or get "that feeling." One concern I would have with not concealing is that you could just as likely provoke someone into making a point of vandalizing your car once you leave. Once you launch your boat, almost anyone can gauge about how long it would take to get back and they will be long gone.
I'm not sure what the answer is. We know we have to look out for ourselves, because, aside from the occasional LEO cruising through, no one else will be there. It sucks because now I feel like I don't want to go back to Beaver, but I realize it could happen (and is probably more likely) at some other place. Ugh.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:44 am

Sucks man. I've been hit a couple times as well. Only thing I do now is put nothing in my vehicle. I try to park my vehicle in a high visible traffic area as well. Still sucks, at times, I got my catalytic converter stolen from my truck last year. Thinking of getting a vicious guard dog and leaving him in my truck.
Last edited by kzoo on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:09 am

Sorry to hear you that you fell victim to this very common crime. When I say common, I mean everywhere every day and not just at boat launches. After 23 years of police work (and counting) I wish I had a dime for every time I told the victim of a vehicle prowl/theft not to leave anything in plain view, because I'd be a filthy rich. We take these reports every day of the week without fail. I'm sure we all know that the answer here is not to leave anything in plain view in our vehicles but sometimes folks forget because they’re human.

Bottom line, if your vehicle is empty, you very likely won't fall victim to this crime. I say this because I've never taken a vehicle prowl/theft report from someone who had nothing in their vehicle.

Thanks for sharing this with everyone because it serves as a great reminder to remove all property from your vehicle before you go fishing or park anywhere in public.

On a side note; Rich, I like your idea to open carry at a launch and I think anyone who is licensed to carry concealed should be carrying. You never know when you might experience a deadly threat and if you don’t carry unless you “have or get that feeling”, some day you might wish that you did. Carry if you can, it might save your life! I never leave home without it! JMO.
Last edited by Dave on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:59 am

All true but Beaver lake is probably not the best place to go waving it around on ones hip. That is a very residential and somewhat uppity neighborhood and I know from experience that the Sammamish police will take a rather dim view. Can they do anything about it? Probably not but.........
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:53 pm

Bodofish wrote:All true but Beaver lake is probably not the best place to go waving it around on ones hip. That is a very residential and somewhat uppity neighborhood and I know from experience that the Sammamish police will take a rather dim view. Can they do anything about it? Probably not but.........
You know, I wonder about this as well. On my Wallace lake hike I carried (plain view, frankly it was the most easy way to carry the gun). No big deal until I got back to the part of the hike were people are heading off to the falls. No one said anything but I'm sure a few people had comments to each other afterward. I did get a couple curious looks.

I got the gun for my back country hikes and hadn't thought about bringing it to boat launches, but it does make sense if the whole point was to get it for protection (vrs. both 4 and 2 leg species).

Maybe I should worry a little less about people's comfort levels?

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:57 pm

I got to the point where if I cant see my rig from where im fishing in a known tweeker zone then I dont go there.It limits my fishing areas but I feel better about it. Getting broke into is never fun. The other thing is I dont have tools and cool stuff in my rig inviting thieves. Sounded like you had tools and things to invite idiots like that. I keep nothing of value in my truck and sometimes leave the door unlocked so they needent bash out my windows or break door locks.
You can tote all the guns you want but if you shoot and kill a robber I bet you'll go to prison for murder.JMO
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:57 pm

I have not had a break in yet (knocking on wood), but then I make sure (like others have said) I leave nothing in the car, and leave the glove box and other compartments open and empty when I leave the vehicle.

I did have an incident last summer that changed the way I do things...

Haven't really relayed this to anyone, but figure this is a good time to do so.

I took a day off work and hit the Sky at 1st light - decided since it was mid-week I would try the Hatchery side of Reiter. Fished for awhile, saw fish jumping on the Hwy side so decided to run over there.
Got to the pull off at about 9:30am. Pulled in (only car there) and before I could turn the car off I see this guy in my rear view mirror, t-shirt & jeans, come running low out of the woods from the other side of the highway. This guy is crouched down, trying to avoid my mirrors, running towards my car (little Honda Civic Hatchback)!
Luckily
A.) I saw him comming
B.) I had my wading gear on (made me look much bigger than I am)
C.) Because I was geared up, I had my 6" folding Buck knife in it's holster-like carry case strapped to my side.

I figured, I did not want him to catch me in the car, so I grabbed the knife in my left hand (opened), kept my right hand on the case at my side (looks like a holster, why not go with it). Flung the car door open, jumped out and yelled "GOOD MORNING, HOW THE HELL ARE YOU?!" Guy was soaking wet, stunk to high heaven, and shaking. He stopped in his tracks, looked at the knife, and my right hand, said "Pretty good man!" and ran over the RR tracks and into the woods.

THAT was the end of my fishing for the day.

Result -
Renewed my CWP
Bought a piece
Carry it whenever I am on the river or other places alone.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:04 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:I have not had a break in yet (knocking on wood), but then I make sure (like others have said) I leave nothing in the car, and leave the glove box and other compartments open and empty when I leave the vehicle.

I took a day off work and hit the Sky at 1st light - decided since it was mid-week I would try the Hatchery side of Reiter. Fished for awhile, saw fish jumping on the Hwy side so decided to run over there.
Got to the pull off at about 9:30am. Pulled in (only car there) and before I could turn the car off I see this guy in my rear view mirror, t-shirt & jeans, come running low out of the woods from the other side of the highway. This guy is crouched down, trying to avoid my mirrors, running towards my car (little Honda Civic Hatchback)!
Luckily
A.) I saw him comming
C.) Because I was geared up, I had my 6" folding Buck knife in it's holster-like carry case strapped to my side.

I figured, I did not want him to catch me in the car, so I grabbed the knife in my left hand (opened), kept my right hand on the case at my side (looks like a holster, why not go with it). Flung the car door open, jumped out and yelled "GOOD MORNING, HOW THE HELL ARE YOU?!" Guy was soaking wet, stunk to high heaven, and shaking. He stopped in his tracks, looked at the knife, and my right hand, said "Pretty good man!" and ran over the RR tracks and into the woods.

Result -
Renewed my CWP
Bought a piece
[omg] That is the type of story that would never get back to my wife.... I wouldn't be allowed to go fishing ever again.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:10 pm

BentRod wrote:
Gringo Pescador wrote:I have not had a break in yet (knocking on wood), but then I make sure (like others have said) I leave nothing in the car, and leave the glove box and other compartments open and empty when I leave the vehicle.

Luckily
A.) I saw him comming

Result -
Renewed my CWP
Bought a piece
[omg] That is the type of story that would never get back to my wife.... I wouldn't be allowed to go fishing ever again.
Scared the piss out of me. It did get back to my wife, but VERY toned down "Saw this weird guy the other day...", the only reason was I knew she would ask questions about me getting my CWP, shopping for a gun, etc.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:15 pm

P. Coor wrote: I don't carry unless I absolutely have to or get "that feeling." One concern I would have with not concealing is that you could just as likely provoke someone into making a point of vandalizing your car once you leave. Once you launch your boat, almost anyone can gauge about how long it would take to get back and they will be long gone.
I'm not sure what the answer is. We know we have to look out for ourselves, because, aside from the occasional LEO cruising through, no one else will be there. It sucks because now I feel like I don't want to go back to Beaver, but I realize it could happen (and is probably more likely) at some other place. Ugh.
Well, thats screwed up on the part of the individual that wants to make a statement like that. But I see your point.
racfish wrote:I got to the point where if I cant see my rig from where im fishing in a known tweeker zone then I dont go there.It limits my fishing areas but I feel better about it. Getting broke into is never fun. The other thing is I dont have tools and cool stuff in my rig inviting thieves. Sounded like you had tools and things to invite idiots like that. I keep nothing of value in my truck and sometimes leave the door unlocked so they needent bash out my windows or break door locks.
You can tote all the guns you want but if you shoot and kill a robber I bet you'll go to prison for murder.JMO

Dude, thats more than an opinion. Thats the law. You MUST be in legit fear of your life, or others, to shoot someone. You can NOT legally shoot someone for stealing all you stuff and trashing your car.

Truthfully, Im more concerned about being attacked by a dog than a human. Much more likly considering where I live, work, and my activities.

I almost never open carry, just when I think its prudent. I prefer concealed. I may not keep it on my person once launched, but its with me on the boat.
Last edited by Rich McVey on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.