Forum Guidelines and Expectations

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Trent Hale
Commander

RE:Appropriate Language and Posts for this Forum and Website, USE POLICY - please review

Post by Trent Hale » Sun May 11, 2008 9:30 am

Back home in Fl we would keep every thing caught.Fish frys are common in the south and the impact this has on fishing none!Every one up here that trout fish should know this just from the amount of bass in there fishing holes.They breed like rabbits two times a year.I cant see spending hundreds of dollars to toss every thing back.Doging others for keeping fish,thats your deal not every one else's.An angry fisher is one who dosen't catch fish?Thanks Mike for keeping it clean. Trent
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

beerman1981
Commander

RE:Appropriate Language and Posts for this Forum and Website, USE POLICY - please review

Post by beerman1981 » Sun May 11, 2008 9:53 am

Trent Hale wrote:Back home in Fl we would keep every thing caught.Fish frys are common in the south and the impact this has on fishing none!Every one up here that trout fish should know this just from the amount of bass in there fishing holes.They breed like rabbits two times a year.I cant see spending hundreds of dollars to toss every thing back.Doging others for keeping fish,thats your deal not every one else's.An angry fisher is one who dosen't catch fish?Thanks Mike for keeping it clean. Trent
I agree with you. Deep fried, beer battered bass is by far my favorite fish, even over cod, hallibut, etc. I throw back a fair majority, but I do keep a few for the fryer as well. They only complaint I have about people keeping fish, is when it goes to waste and has to be thrown out. If you are going to eat it for sure, go ahead, keep that rascal and enjoy:cheers:
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:53 am

Isn't that what fishing is all about,..WDFW has it's rules and regs and we MUST abide by them,..but if one is fishing and wants to keep what they catch,..as long as it's within the WDFW guidlines then what the hey! Great job on the post Mike,..I have been verbally abused one time on this site since becoming a member this year and although inside I wanted to get even,..I left it alone,..people always seem a bit more "tougher" when they can't be seen and comment on something that in person they wouldn't even think about saying,..so hats off to all you guys at WL.COM,..it's a great site and a valuable resource for the fishing community!
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:30 pm

One time is one time too many. If this happens let me know. It's all about keeping WL.com a friendly, family-oriented website. It's way too busy for me to be able to see all the posts and comments that go on. Thanks.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:07 pm

OK, I guess I need to say this.

Using symbols like "@" to spell out foul language is not acceptable on this site. The intent is the same as if you just spell it out. Again, review the site use policy. If I have to waste my time deleting comments every day when I could be working on the site more productively I'll have to assume the person posting doesn't want to be a member and they will be permanently banned.

Thank you.

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:00 pm

I'm surprised it took me this long to look at this thread. I have found that the information and people on this site have been more than courtious to me. I do appreciate the work the moderators do to keep this site clean and I can think of only one time that I have read something that offended me. I'm from california so what I've learned is it comes with the territory. Other than that I would never have been able to enjoy the amount of fishing in the short time that I have been here, plus I have met a few really cool people from this site as well, and when you move to a new state, any friend is a good friend. So long story short thanks for the good work and please keep it up.
I won't kill anything less than a meal

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:42 pm

Your comments are greatly appreciated. The majority of the members don't find it difficult to use clean language and be courteous to each other. We are glad that you enjoy the site.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:52 am

A few concerns have cropped up recently, so let me address them.

Harrassing other members can take many forms, and sometimes it's hard to tell if you're kidding around or serious. THat's the nature of a Forum. So please, if someone hasn't asked for your advice on an off-topic subject, don't use the forum to "educate" them. Stick to the Forum thread. If you feel you need share something off-topic usethe PM system, that's what it's for. Just be sure to back off if the other person is not receptive to your "advice".

Thing Two - if we see threads turning south, getting ugly, etc, the Mods will remov the entire thread WITHOUT NOTICE. So again, let's be civil, keep on topic, and treat each other with respect and tolerance. Over 3,000 members are bound to have disagreements and different outlooks and opinions, but we ALL should be able to express them in an adult manner.

Number Three - the Mods work hard at keeping the Forums civil and safe for everyone to post comments without fear of being flamed or abused. In the course of there VOLUNTEER work, the are bound to have inconsistancies with how they approach one topic from another. Bringing up past pasts on the Forum and calling "Double Standard" doesn't help and is not appreciated. Ultimately in only serves to bring down what is a very nice forum and group. If you have issues with a moderator you can PM them, or me for clarification on their decision.

Thanks everyone, and thanks Mods for your efforts at what can sometimes be a "no-win" job.

urbanangler
Warrant Officer

Post by urbanangler » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:52 am

Excellent points. I especially like the curtail on over-zealous advice giving. I have seen too much rightous "preaching" on WL.com, on topics ranging from personal catch and release practices, specific fishing techniques, writing style, fish weight estimates, personal safety precautions, and more. I hope we all can keep it civil, respectful, and take the best interpretations of what is written, as well as what is left un-written on WL.com.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
==urban== please don't tell me to C&R or to fish your way, thank you

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:19 pm

My thanks to the moderator and/or fellow WL member who were responsible for removing the less-than-positive and miss-directed reply to my recent Beaver Lake report. It was not up there long, but I did see it before it was removed. I can honestly say that I understood some of what the poster was ranting about, but it was the wrong place to post such material and I tried not to take it personally as none of what was written applied to my fishing philosophy or practice.
I was impressed at how quickly a potentially ugly situation was avoided.
Thanks again,
BR

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:22 pm

Is this also the same policy for the chatroom?
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:32 pm

BentRod,

I never got to see those comments as Aaron deleted them first. Glad there's no residual issues!

Toni,

The Chatroom is currently self-moderated. Aaron and I can't be in there watching all the posts go by. So far I've heard of no problems but frankly is just a matter of time... I have a high opinion of the vast majority of the members so I expect any problems to be isolated. If you ever see a problem right select the text, save it, and e-mail it to me. Can't do anything if I don't see exactly what was said.

Thanks.

stanford
Petty Officer

Post by stanford » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:23 pm

I just noticed this thread, never have seen it, but very interesting. I didn't realize that stuff happens here. Let me tell you though, of all the major NW forums, hands down WA lakes is the cleanest friendliest one. Made some good friends on the site, and had some great info told to me. Good job Mike
Kyles Outdoor Adventure Fishing Services check it out?

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:18 am

Mike Carey wrote:BentRod,

If you ever see a problem right select the text, save it, and e-mail it to me. Can't do anything if I don't see exactly what was said.

Thanks.
Or you can do a "PRNT SCRN" Print Screen, and capture an image of the posts... a picture is worth a thousand copy & pastes and its hard to dispute.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:22 am

yup, that works. Anything that can confirm the incident.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:00 am

Mike Carey wrote:The Chatroom is currently self-moderated. Aaron and I can't be in there watching all the posts go by. So far I've heard of no problems but frankly is just a matter of time... I have a high opinion of the vast majority of the members so I expect any problems to be isolated. Thanks.
I will have to agree .. the chat room has been a great place to visit and I have not seen issues arise there. Though it is true it is only a matter of time before someone speaks before they think but all in all it has been a great addition to the site.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:50 pm

that's good to hear. As time goes by I suspect it will get used by more members.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:15 pm

Good job guys Clean is mean :cheers: and tight is right:compress: !
Kids are the future of all sports teach them well!:bball:
Attachments
Bonicskids.jpg
Bonicskids.jpg (78.96 KiB) Viewed 173005 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:08 pm

Maybe the person who wrote the program for this web site can put a clickable button at the bottom of each reply along side the 'pm' 'e-mail' 'msn' buttons. That new button would be 'notify moderator'. Click on that button and ALL moderators would be notified of THAT reply. That way the inapropreat reply would be seen, read, and deleted by the first mod that reads the notification and the thread would be cleaned up quicker.

See here how it is done;

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... ost5329048

The button is the square box inside the round circle under each reply, after the words 'post extras'.

Also there is a bunch of incorrect info in the 'spinning vs casting' thread.

And a little incorrect info in the 'crankbait thread, but nothing to worry about.
Tom.

Interests: living

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:29 pm

[quote="Amx"]Maybe the person who wrote the program for this web site can put a clickable button at the bottom of each reply along side the 'pm' 'e-mail' 'msn' buttons. That new button would be 'notify moderator'. Click on that button and ALL moderators would be notified of THAT reply. That way the inapropreat reply would be seen, read, and deleted by the first mod that reads the notification and the thread would be cleaned up quicker.

See here how it is done]

I don't want to open my self up to getting flamed.... but when you talk about having a notify moderator button option,, do you mean that in the case of an inappropriate sort of thread (people bashing each other, bad language, etc.??)
Because when you mentioned there being incorrect info. in a couple of threads,,, isn't much of the back and forth banter between people kind of subjective? It's alot of opinion about stuff really. Can you clarify?
It's kind of like the arguement of "Too much Govt. or not too much Govt." (that was sort of a joke) :cheers:
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg