Forum Guidelines and Expectations

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Appropriate Language and Posts for this Forum and Website, USE POLICY - please review

Post by Amx » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:32 pm

Yup, the 'notify moderator' button would just be for things like swearing, insults, fighting, not different methods of fishing that people learned, or disagreements on what rod/reel/bait is best for any given circumstance.
Tom.

Interests: living

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Appropriate Language and Posts for this Forum and Website, USE POLICY - please review

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:33 pm

sounds good.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:06 pm

we are in the mist of an internal upgrade, moving the site to a dedicated server. When that is done Aaron will be doing an upgrade of the Forum. I don't know what all is in it, but let's see if that's in the cards, if not after the new upgrade is in place maybe we can do something like this.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

andy525
Angler

Post by andy525 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:38 pm

I have fishing for 20 years, do you want to share thrill with me? welcome to www.enjoynike.com

Big D

Post by Big D » Wed May 05, 2010 5:55 pm

andy525 wrote:I have fishing for 20 years, do you want to share thrill with me? welcome to www.enjoynike.com
SPAM...SPAM...SPAM...SPAM...SPAM...SPAM...SPAM...SPAM...SPAM...SPAM...SPAM
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:41 am

Another request regarding pictures posted on the forums - please limit the size to a max of 800x600 as bigger sizes make the forum act up with scrolling bars which are a major pain.

Thanks All. :dj:

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:36 am

Honest officer it wasnt me.I just had tii many martoonis..I dont even own a digital camera. I have a 35mm camera.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

urbanangler
Warrant Officer

Post by urbanangler » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:46 pm

but, but, if I submit a bigger picture, the fish will look bigger, and my stature grows!
==urban== please don't tell me to C&R or to fish your way, thank you

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:51 pm

No long arming allowed![laugh]

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Mike Carey wrote:Another request regarding pictures posted on the forums - please limit the size to a max of 800x600 as bigger sizes make the forum act up with scrolling bars which are a major pain.

I hope it wasn't mine. ??????????
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:52 am

Mike Carey wrote:Another request regarding pictures posted on the forums - please limit the size to a max of 800x600 as bigger sizes make the forum act up with scrolling bars which are a major pain.

Mike, awhile back you had told me to use pics. of up to 200 kb in size, so that they would post directly and not make themselves into a link to open. Does that plan still work? I'm not sure where to find out if my 197 KB pics are 800x600 or not.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:14 am

The Quadfather wrote:Mike, awhile back you had told me to use pics. of up to 200 kb in size, so that they would post directly and not make themselves into a link to open. Does that plan still work? I'm not sure where to find out if my 197 KB pics are 800x600 or not.
Quad, open up the pictures with a picture editor/viewer like Irfanview or Microsoft Office Picture Manager and in one of the drop downs on the menu bar you should find a properties selection. The properties should give you overall size in KB and also dimensions in pixels. Both of the programs I mentioned above will also allow you to resize and resample your images. Just select resize/resample from one of the drop downs and edit as necessary.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:41 am

The Quadfather wrote:

Mike, awhile back you had told me to use pics. of up to 200 kb in size, so that they would post directly and not make themselves into a link to open. Does that plan still work? I'm not sure where to find out if my 197 KB pics are 800x600 or not.
it's two different things. The kb limit determines whether the picture shows as a picture or a file attachment. The dimension limit determines whether scrolling bars get added t the post. In the case of a really big dimension (say 1400x1000) it can really mess with the forum.

Again, I wish the forum software did the resizing automatically but it doesn't, so we have to do it ourselves.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:56 pm

so, if I take a picture with my phone, send it to my email, download it to my computer, then transfer it to the desktop so I can download it to WA LAKES, I haven't done enough, I've also got to figure out the pixel count and file size and adjust if it's too big on either count? Wheh! LOL

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:11 pm

MarkFromSea wrote:so, if I take a picture with my phone, send it to my email, download it to my computer, then transfer it to the desktop so I can download it to WA LAKES, I haven't done enough, I've also got to figure out the pixel count and file size and adjust if it's too big on either count? Wheh! LOL
Just think of the dedication you're showing WL.com. :-"

Someday (maybe not in our lifetimes) the member will just take a visual scan and mentally download the image to the matrix to be instantly enjoyed by all. No more messing around with files, we'll all be plugged in to each other. [unsure]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:39 pm

You don't have to put the picture on the desktop. When you attach a picture you can do it from any file on your computer.

I have my fish pictures catagorized by the lake I caught them from. When I attach a picture I just go to that file and pick the proper picture. I lable each picture by the date, size of the fish, what I caught it on, and sometimes where on the lake I caught it. That way it's easy to select the proper picture to attach for that report, etc.
Tom.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:01 pm

MarkFromSea wrote:so, if I take a picture with my phone, send it to my email, download it to my computer, then transfer it to the desktop so I can download it to WA LAKES, I haven't done enough, I've also got to figure out the pixel count and file size and adjust if it's too big on either count? Wheh! LOL
If you set your phone to take a photo at the 800 by 600 size then they can go directly into the forum.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:25 pm

G-Man wrote:
If you set your phone to take a photo at the 800 by 600 size then they can go directly into the forum.
But sometimes you want a higher quality picture = higher total pixel count. So then you want some border around the fish so you can crop it and have a good sized fish picture without it being too big. Croping it also lowers the total pixel count so it'll fit in the post. Takes a little practise to do that, but it works great. Makes for much better detail and you end up with a close up of the fish. :) I'll do that when the subject is a little further away. I can then crop the picture and then enlarge the cropped picture without distorting it. Like this picture of the raccoons. Far away, large picture/high quality/high pixel count. Cropped to have the coons 'close'. And then enlarged for a decent sized picture.

These 2 pictures is acually the same picture. Just cropped and enlarged the picture that is cropped.
Attachments
Image10.jpg
Image10.jpg (21.4 KiB) Viewed 185582 times
Image8.jpg
Image8.jpg (47.55 KiB) Viewed 185582 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:58 pm

G-Man wrote:
I love the Mattrix idea, but honestly, you don't want inside my brain bucket! LOL

This set the phone pixel thing seems to help the most. In my phone, under the resolution option, I have a 640x480 option, closest to 800x600 with out going over. That should do er! That's where it was already set.

I throw it on the desktop so I can find it easily. Actually, that long winded description of the picture posting process was my attempt at humor. Sorry you didn't get that AMX! It's all good in the neighborhood! :jocolor:
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reelman
Warrant Officer

Post by reelman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:42 am

Thank you Mike. I love being able to sit and read a fishing report to my kids. It gets them excited about fishing and I get a fishing buddy. To me, fishing is a vehicle to make memories that my children will have for eternity and nothing beats the look on a kid's face when they've tied into a nice fish.

I know visiting other sites, I have not put them in my "favorites" because of the frequent F-bomb or other colorful language. If I were advertising, and I had my choice, this is where I'd want to be seen.

As for harassment, we've got a good group here. There've been a couple times I've been called out, but each time, the other party has been man enough to come back and apologize.

I am offended though Mike, that you were in Eastern Washington, and you didn't swing by to go fishing. Let's hope your son likes WSU or EWU or Gonzaga and we can find some way of patching this up.
Fly Fishing, like any faith, has varying levels of orthodoxy.